Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 74,621   Posts: 1,647,745   Online: 886

Thread: Color Values

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Color Values

If i am switching from glossy finish to matte finish, but they are the same exact paper, (Fujifilm Super Type C) will my color values (on a dichroic head) change a lot?
    Where is the art in digital photography?..

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by nlochner
    If i am switching from glossy finish to matte finish, but they are the same exact paper, (Fujifilm Super Type C) will my color values (on a dichroic head) change a lot?
    Disregarding the differences of the basic filter back due to different batches of paper you will probably wish or need to tweak filtration a bit due to the differences in the reflectivity of matte vs. glossy, IOW, matt paper tones may look a bit darker when compared to a glossy print. As a result you may end up changing the density of the matte print which will need a color correction.

This based on my experiences printing color years ago so newer emulsions may behave differently.
    Don Bryant

Shooter
    35mm
    Unless one is using a color temperature meter and filters extremely well, changing filter packs can NOT be avoided. I beleive that the last 20 years has improved the batch to batch characteristices of color paper substantially and for the better. Unfortunately, there is not now and may never be any absolutes in the paper's manufacture. Even if there were no changes between batches that still would not negate storage and usage changes. Obviously the major lack of uniformity is in the scene itself and the handling of the photographic negative making...exposure, development, lighting conditions and the negative's manufacture.
    Claire (Ms Anne Thrope is in the darkroom)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ypu may also find that the scene on glossy paper will benefit from more or less exposure which can also affect the filter pack.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin