Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,937   Posts: 1,585,640   Online: 791

Shooter
    Large Format

Separating Water Damaged Color Prints

Hi All -
    A client has called me about some prints that were water damaged in a house fire. They appear to be stuck together pretty tightly, probably were not recovered right away, and dried together. Does anyone have any thoughts on getting these unstuck? I'm thinking a soak in distilled water might do it, but where these are (I think) older prints, I might have to find some EP2 stabilizer and re-stabilize them. The other option is to get them apart and dry, then scan them. Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks!
    r.j. phil

www.rjphil.com

"What if they're not dreams - what if they're instructions?"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by rjphil
    Hi All -
    A client has called me about some prints that were water damaged in a house fire. They appear to be stuck together pretty tightly, probably were not recovered right away, and dried together. Does anyone have any thoughts on getting these unstuck? I'm thinking a soak in distilled water might do it, but where these are (I think) older prints, I might have to find some EP2 stabilizer and re-stabilize them. The other option is to get them apart and dry, then scan them. Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks!
    EMERGENCY SALVAGE OF WET PHOTOGRAPHS
    http://www.nedcc.org/plam3/tleaf38.htm

I would try a cool to cold bath of very dillute photoflo (use dilstilled water, can't hurt) or some other surfactant and monitor the condition closely, testing occasionally to see if they will come apart without too much damage. You should probably then refix or stablize the photo and dry as normal.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I know from bitter experience that prints that have dried together can be an absolute pig to get apart again. Soaking might do it, but might not. Does he/she still have the negs? Re-printing might be the only way.

David

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I had a similar issue with color prints. We were able to separate them by soaking in warm distilled water and redrying with low heat.
    Don Sigl
    www.drs-fineartphoto.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Thanks all -
    I'll pass your suggestions along to my client.
    She knows that when prints are stuck together, they may not be able
    to be separated. Have to wave the magic monopod and think only pure thoughts about this...
    r.j. phil

www.rjphil.com

"What if they're not dreams - what if they're instructions?"

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin