Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,042   Posts: 1,560,801   Online: 1098

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

To Compromise or Not (HC-110 for Paper or Other)

I got close to 250 sheets of Kodak Polycontrast III RC 8x10 photographic paper ( or i'd say reasonably 90% left from what the student used ), about 15 sheets of ilford multigrade IV Fiber Glossy 8x10. For one I dont know if the paper is still good (you know like open the box. "oopsie" close it up by the previous student), and I'm thinking bout doing some contact prints from some 6x9 negatives.

Thing is I don't want to go out and buy a bottle of paper developer especially if I dont know which I want to get. So I'm wondering. Can I just use some HC-110 developer as a compromise. I also got an old orange bottle of Agfa Nuetol universal paper developer concentrate that is said to be able to do 100 8x10 prints, however according to the data on the box the moment I mix the 1 Litre stock, I have 4 weeks before it goes bad and I don't want to be cracking it open just to do a couple then have it go back from the time.

Thoughts?
    -Karl Blessing
    Karl Blessing.com
    The Bokeh
    Color Film always existed. It's just the world was always black and white till recently.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Can I just use some HC-110 developer as a compromise.

No.

Buy some Dektol.

"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The neutol is probably done. try ilford multigrade or PQ universal
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I second using Dektol. you can get a small pack to make 1 litre stock solution for about $3. Then dilute 1+2 with water.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JHannon
    I second using Dektol. you can get a small pack to make 1 litre stock solution for about $3. Then dilute 1+2 with water.
    Probally only online.
    -Karl Blessing
    Karl Blessing.com
    The Bokeh
    Color Film always existed. It's just the world was always black and white till recently.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kb244
    Probally only online.
    No, I get mine at Hunt's Photo here in Melrose, MA. I am not sure what photo stores are near you...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by kb244
    Thing is I don't want to go out and buy a bottle of paper developer especially if I dont know which I want to get. So I'm wondering. Can I just use some HC-110 developer as a compromise. I also got an old orange bottle of Agfa Nuetol universal paper developer concentrate that is said to be able to do 100 8x10 prints, however according to the data on the box the moment I mix the 1 Litre stock, I have 4 weeks before it goes bad and I don't want to be cracking it open just to do a couple then have it go back from the time.
    Say no to HC-110.

All developers have limited shelf life unless you keep them free of air. Neutol Plus is good because it's hydroquinone-free, but it's also known to be on the poor side when it comes to shelf life and tray life.

If you don't mind hydroquinone, and if you don't mind mixing powder, I'd recommend Dektol 1+2. If you don't mind hydroquinone but prefer liquid, Ilford Multigrade Developer. If you prefer hydroquinone-free, there aren't many options, but the green link below should help you. (Or of course you can mix up DS-14 from raw chemicals.)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    As I sya, Dont compromise on chemicals: they are the cheapest part of the process.
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryuji
    Say no to HC-110.

All developers have limited shelf life unless you keep them free of air. Neutol Plus is good because it's hydroquinone-free, but it's also known to be on the poor side when it comes to shelf life and tray life.

If you don't mind hydroquinone, and if you don't mind mixing powder, I'd recommend Dektol 1+2. If you don't mind hydroquinone but prefer liquid, Ilford Multigrade Developer. If you prefer hydroquinone-free, there aren't many options, but the green link below should help you. (Or of course you can mix up DS-14 from raw chemicals.)
    So say no to HC-110 as a paper developer, I'm pretty much already set on saying yes as a film developer, HC-110 in it's concentrate form ( and I always dilute from concentrate ) seems to last for years.

Whenever the Mfr gets to about half full I move em to one of these.
    -Karl Blessing
    Karl Blessing.com
    The Bokeh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JHannon
    No, I get mine at Hunt's Photo here in Melrose, MA. I am not sure what photo stores are near you...
    Well up until a month or two ago there was

Arden Photos
    Mark's Photo
    Norman Cameras
    Camera Center (where I work)

Then Arden and Mark's photo closed, so theres just Norman's which has some ilford liquid concentrates, microphen and d76 for film developing, *some* paper , but mostly its a 98% digital camera store with the entire stock of canon, nikon, etc lens on display and such.

Then theres my store which I think will have maybe some dextol for 1litre stock, xtol, ethnol, rodinal, tmax dev, d76 bunch of ilford paper, I mean I probally check the back to see if that bottle of ilford multigrade developer was still sealed or not. I just wanted to know if the HC-110 could be a compromise for a single night of doing a quick contact print and see if the paper comes thru (ie: some student didnt accidently open the box and go oopsie and close it if you know what I mean).
    -Karl Blessing
    Karl Blessing.com
    The Bokeh

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin