Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,568   Posts: 1,573,500   Online: 691

Shooter
    Multi Format

Bulk 400 iso color print film

I don't shoot a lot of color film. Maybe 10-15% of my total output. I usually load one of my P&S with 400 color and slip it into the side compartment of my camera bag. Great for quick snap shots when unhitching a Nikon would mean a lost opportunity.
    Would it make sense to get into bulk loading C41 film? At present I pay around $10.00 + tax for a 3 pk. of Fuji . I see that an APUG member has some Agfa Optima 400 for sale. Has anyone used this film who could compare it to Kodak or Fuji standard 400 ?

Thanks in Advance,
    Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    How are you going to process it? The average mini-lab owner might not take bulk loaded film. If you can get it processed then the math is no different then bulk B&W.

I haven't used the 400. But have used the slower 100 and 200. Quite nice. IIRC Optima was a pro film.

Shooter
    35mm
    It's relatively hard to find bulk-loaded color print film. If you check outfits like B&H or Adorama, you'll find some, but the selection is limited -- mostly ISO 160 and 400 portrait film. At B&H, prices range from $49.95 to $59.95 (unperforated can be a bit cheaper, at $45.95, but that's not useful for most cameras). Assuming 18 rolls of 36-exposure film per bulk roll, this works out to $2.78 to $3.33 per roll. The only perforated bulk roll of ISO 400 film at B&H goes for $55.00, which works out to $3.06 per 36-exposure roll. B&H sells individual 36-exposure rolls of ISO 400 film for between $1.99 and $5.75. The bulk-rolled film is one of the more expensive of these, so if you're set on getting that specific film (Kodak Portra), you'll do well to bulk load. If you're happy with a general-purpose consumer film like Fuji Superia 400, you'll actually do better with individual rolls.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The God's of film must of been smiling on me this morning because when I was leaving my local Sobey's (Atlantic Canada grocery chain) the manager asked if I was interested in some film. They know me as a photog.
    I walked away with 10 boxes (3 pk.) of Fuji Superia X-Tra 400 for $56.00. Thats about a buck eighty per roll. For some reason they are getting out of Fuji. Maybe film altogether,who knows?

Thanks For The Replies,
    Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Another 'bulkish' option for colour fillm

I do my own B&w and colour processing, but a fair chunk of the volume of colour is my wife with her point and shoot covering the growing little ones in our household.

I bought a 100 roll case of afga 400, 27 exposure film on ebay about three years ago now. It cost about $180, and I was able to arrange for free pickup. The stuff is dated to expire this year, but has lived in thefreezer for the time I have owned it. The same film stock, in a consistent c-41 process takes so many variables out, the likelyhood of getting a great print on the first or second exposure in my enlarger is high.

We are now down to about 70 rolls. We take them out 10 rolls at a time and leave them on the door of the kitchen fridge to be put in the camera bag one at a time.

I have also bought short dated 100' of Fuji slide film, and rolled my own. It is a very attractive way to go; it came $80 for 2-100' from the same lot.

There is also a ton of 120 and b&w rolls in my frezer as deals come along - there is shrinking room for food storage in fact!.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you keep your eyes open you'll often find film on sale at non-film places.

The local Fortinos a few years back had a deal on Fuji film. They even threw in a case of pop-)

Canadian tire had sales on Konica film.

In both cases the stuff was less then $1 per roll. You can't count on the sales but when they happen stock up. This way you get film from one batch to.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Photo labs, as best I've known, have no problem processing bulk loaded film. It's the same as normal film, just ask for the canisters back at the end. That's what I did with my 100ft of Ilford XP2, good way to get into black an white without the darkroom (the XP2 now replaced with 100ft of Agfa APX 400).
    I've been meaning to get a bulk roll of Fuji Superia 400, maybe that could do the trick, but as has been said you can get the stuff pre-rolled online in a number of places. Anything to save money.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin