Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,936   Posts: 1,585,632   Online: 739

Chromega print drums

I am moving later this year and will not be building a new darkroom. I will still be using film, but scanning and printing on an Epson printer. I have 8x10 and 16x20 Chromega print drums that my daughter will probably use in her soon to be built darkroom. However, I have lost the instructions which tell the minimum amount of chemicals to use in each drum. Anyone have that information readily available?

TIA,

George

Images
    Good Evening, George

I have the same Chromega drums and have located a Chromega instruction sheet. Officially, "the 8 x 10 Color Print Processor requires two ounces of chemistry (sic) for conventional papers and three ounces for resin coated papers." The 16 x 20 drum "requires eight ounces of chemistry (sic) for conventional or resin coated papers."

For what it's worth, however, keep in mind that these instructions were written with expensive color chemicals (NOT "chemistry"--sorry, can't lose the old English teacher habits) in mind. I use the 8 x 10 drum for film processing, occasionally for a quick B & W contact sheet or two, and almost never for prints; the 16 x 20 does come in handy for prints since it takes a lot less room than a set of large trays does. When I process film, I like to have at least eight ounces in the 8 x 10 drum, often ten or twelve ounces. I haven't printed any 16 x 20's for a while, but I'd probably want twenty-five to thirty ounces in the large drum.

By the way, Chromega's recommendation for an 11 x 14 drum is five ounces for either type of paper. Hope this is useful.

Konical

Chromega print drums

Thank you Konical. Very helpful.

George

bvy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Does anyone have instructions or a manual for the 8x10 Chromega drum that they'd be willing to scan and share? What's above is helpful; I'm struggling a bit with these sliding rods though. Thanks.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Depends on the chemistry involved, how stable your ambient temperature is, on how level you run the drum, and on how fast you rotate it. There's nothing special about this kind of drum. I can make an excellent color print in an 8x10 drum with only an ounce of RA4 chem. But that
    does not mean you can get away with the same small volume.

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bvy View Post
    Does anyone have instructions or a manual for the 8x10 Chromega drum that they'd be willing to scan and share? What's above is helpful; I'm struggling a bit with these sliding rods though. Thanks.
    Here's some instructions for the Chromega II, not sure what the differences are from I.

Jon
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	208.3 KB 
ID:	76021Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	259.9 KB 
ID:	76022
    Last edited by Jon Shiu; 10-25-2013 at 05:39 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Mendocino Coast Black and White Photography: www.jonshiu.com

bvy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Shiu View Post
    Here's some instructions for the Chromega II, not sure what the differences are from I.
    Awesome! Thanks so much for taking the time. Just so happens mine is a Chromega II.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin