Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,553   Posts: 1,544,937   Online: 827

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

My First Cross Processing Attempt (E6 film in C41 chemicals)

Hi All,

Just wanted to post my first attempt at cross processing E200 in C-41 chemistry. I rated the film at its normal ISO of 200 and processed it with normal c41 times. I printed these photos in my darkroom yesterday and scanned them this mourning. I was some what amazed at the saturation of the big red flower. See attached photos. All feed back appreciated.

Jamie
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails e6CPC41_1a.JPG   e6CPC41_2a.JPG   e6CPC41_3a.JPG  
    Keep Film Alive, Shoot Everyday!
    JamiesInfraredPhotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Did you take it to a professional lab or can you just take your E6 film to the local one hour lab and ask them to treat it like a negative film? I have been meaning to try cross processing for a while but haven't gotten around to it.

I assume that the negatives that you get back don't have the orangish base of color negative film, right. Does that pose any scanning challenges.

-A

Shooter
    35mm
    what I've done in the past is gone to walmart/walgreens they're too dumb to recognize. Walgreens used to get some of my film...when my lab was down for major maintinance and I needed it fast. Then i move to worcester MA didn't have a darkroom and dropped off some tri-x for send out. He argued he could do it in an hour, i demanded send out...he did it in an hour.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If I drop it off at Walgreens and ask for 1 hour processing and a CD, will the scans come out okay or will the scanner freak because of the lack of orange base - in that case I could scan them myself but scanning all 36 frames is a bit tedious.

-A

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Jamie, so you didn't have to overexpose at all? I've read that a lot of people overexpose by as much as 2 stops, but it doesn't seem to be a consensus. What do you guys usually do?
    "Technology is a big destroyer of emotion and truth. Opportunity doesn't do anything for creativity. Yeah, it makes it easier and you can get home sooner, but it doesn't make you a more creative person. That's the disease you have to fight in any creative field.. ease of use." - Jack White

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Anupam Basu
    If I drop it off at Walgreens and ask for 1 hour processing and a CD, will the scans come out okay or will the scanner freak because of the lack of orange base - in that case I could scan them myself but scanning all 36 frames is a bit tedious.
    In my experience, I've found scanning cross-processed negatives doesn't tend to work well at all, either at the lab or doing them yourself. Fatboy22 doesn't mention it, but I'm assuming he scanned his prints, not the negatives. That's what I've had to do for mine too (see the thumbnails I posted on Fatboy22's earlier thread asking about cross-processing). This is a bit of an annoyance for me because my flatbed can only handle 8x10 images and I have some 11x14 prints that I'd love to share online and can't scan them. At some point, I'm going to see if taking a scan that I have a print that I can try to match it with will work any better.

Most labs these days will even do the prints digitally so that's not likely to work very well either for you. IMHO, this is stuff you really have to print analogue.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've exposed my EPP at the same ISO as recommended for reversal processing and gotten good negatives.

Scans of the prints and negatives have turned out quite good.

I have also run C41 films through E6 to get masked low contrast positives.

In addition, I have cross processed color papers to get some quite good results. There is quite a bit of this posted on PN.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Chris,

I did not have to overexpose. I just rated the film at the normal speed of 200 and processed in normal c41 chemistry at normal time, I have a JOBO ATL 1000 it does most of the work.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Frugal,

You are correct I processed the film myself then printed cross processed negatives onto Kodak Endura Paper then scanned. Thankyou for your examples and recommending I look at some of Johns posts on cross processing.

Jamie

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Anupam Basu,

I process my own E6 and C41 in a JOBO ATL 1000. It is easy to do and I really had no choice most of the prolabs are gone in Iowa or very inconvenient.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin