Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,702   Posts: 1,548,452   Online: 945

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Just so I don't come to a short end -)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    They had no E6 films in stock. From the sound of it it's very much hit or miss with mostly miss.

They only had full cans of B&W in stock.

So I picked up some KODAK VISION2 50D 5201. It's ECN but I've been wanting to figure this stuff out just in case. The price was right at 20cents a foot.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As Kino mentioned, there is very little 35 mm reversal stock used in movies. Let us know what you think of the 5201. Will you process it yourself or send it to a lab?

Best,
    Helen

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The two Kodak B&W cine films, 5231 and 5222 are intended to be printed on contrasty positive stock. The ISO speeds and developing times are designed for this purpose. When exposed at 125 and 400 respectively and developed to a normal CI they are excellent for still camera use. Rather then being grainy, their RMS granularity values (extremely fine and very fine) are comparable to still films of the same ISO speeds. Compare the values to Plus-X and Tri-X.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Helen B
    As Kino mentioned, there is very little 35 mm reversal stock used in movies. Let us know what you think of the 5201. Will you process it yourself or send it to a lab?

Best,
    Helen
    I'm going to do it myself. Still haven't decided on the best route.

Do you know how big the spool hole is on the can? I got 200 feet so I assume that makes it a 400 foot reel. I'm going to rig something up for loading into 35mm cans. No way 200 feet will fit one of my bulk loaders.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Zentena
    So I picked up some KODAK VISION2 50D 5201. It's ECN but I've been wanting to figure this stuff out just in case. The price was right at 20cents a foot.
    In the past the problem with using color negative cine stock has been that these films are designed to be printed on color positive stock. This positive stock has a different response than color paper making it impossible to get a really good match with all three color layers. This results in a slight color cast to either the highlights or the shadows of the print. You decide which is less noticeable, I usually choose the shadows.

The removal of the Rem-Jet backing can also prove to be a problem.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I figure to use it for more artistic photos. So perfect colour fidelity shouldn't be an issue.

I'm going to spend some time at the Kodak website pouring over the formulas they have posted. I'm not sure which way I'll do this yet.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There were some formulae in PT a while back, and I could fish them out if you are interested. I think that a lot of people use plain old C-41, either one-shot or filtered between films, when colour fidelity isn't an issue.

It should be on a 'U' core, which is also the standard 2 inches outside diameter core used for bulk still fim as far as I know.

Best,
    Helen

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Kodak has these formulas on thier website.
    http://www.kodak.com/US/plugins/acro...2%20formula%22

I'm mostly worried about the prebath. Not sure how easy it would be to get the Kodak AF-2000 that the developer calls for.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Zentena
    I'm going to do it myself. Still haven't decided on the best route.

Do you know how big the spool hole is on the can? I got 200 feet so I assume that makes it a 400 foot reel. I'm going to rig something up for loading into 35mm cans. No way 200 feet will fit one of my bulk loaders.
    Your loads will undoubtedly be on 2 inch film cores, not reels and certainly not daylight spools, so work entirely in total darkness!

The spindle hole of the core is approx. 1 inch in diameter with a keyway slot designed to positively index the core to the magazine or hand rewind drive.

Examples of cores

Unless you own a set of film rewinds for motion picture work and have a tightwind or a split reel (a reel that unscrews for the core to fit in between) you will have to rig up a way to unspool the film from the core.

A tightwind...

I would suggest you go back and buy a few cores from the supply house, get some cheap cotton gloves and rewind the stuff by hand in a changing bag. When the film reaches a height of about 3/4 of an inch from the surface of the 2 inch core, you have about 100 feet of film. Be sure to get 2 inch cores because 3 inch stock cores (for lab loads) wont allow you to use more than about 50 feet of film in the bulk loader (depending upon loader).

Of course, if you have a simple bulk load core like factory bulk loads come on, you can use that as well and get more into the loader....

I'll shut up now...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin