Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,217   Posts: 1,532,153   Online: 981

Thread: 400VC vs. 400UC

Shooter
    35mm

400VC vs. 400UC

Is it correct to say the difference between 400VC to 400UC is similar to the difference between tri-x and tmax 400, in terms of grain? I love tri-x over tmax 400.

I know 400UC is newer. more saturated color. What are other differences?

Thanks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The small amount of shooting I have done with these two films, the biggest difference I have noticed is the color saturation, I have not noticed much difference in the grain structure.

Dave

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dxphoto
    Is it correct to say the difference between 400VC to 400UC is similar to the difference between tri-x and tmax 400, in terms of grain? ...
    Probably not.

Per the Kodak Tech pubs for these films, the "print grain index" for a 4x6 print from a 35mm neg is 48 for 400VC and 40 for 400 UC. The proportion is similar, if not smaller for other print sizes and larger negs. In practical use, Mr. Parker is likely correct that the "biggest" difference is color saturation. Of course, I could be wrong.
    David
    Taking pictures is easy. Making photographs is hard.

http://www.behance.net/silverdarkroom
    http://silverdarkroom.wordpress.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There are three "suffixes" for Kodak print films: NC, VC, UC. They mean more or less: Normal, Very and Ultra. The C is meant to be either Colour (saturation) or Contrast: two adjacent areas of different hues but of matched values have a higher contrast at high saturation than at low saturation.

There are two categories of speed: slow (160 or 100) and fast (400 or 800). That gives the following combinations

100: UC
    160: NC, VC
    400: NC, VC, UC
    800: no suffix, but I suppose it's got to be like NC

All of these films use T-grain technology, the same you find in T-Max. The 800 was upgraded recently, so it might have some newer tech in it. So all of these are colour T-Maxes, not coulour Tri-Xes. I have no idea if Kodak or anyone else still produces colour film using conventional grains.
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I haven't used much 400VC, but I use 400UC all the time. My experience is that the grain is similar between the two, but 400VC is a bit more contrasty and 400UC is more saturated. 400UC changed recently and became even more saturated. I think they overdid it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by nworth
    I think they overdid it.
    After the last wedding I did, I would have to agree, I found myself a bit short on what I normally carry to shoot a wedding and have always shot Fuji, and the local shop had 400UC in stock and no fuji at all, I am telling you, compared to the fuji I used, the UC was REALLY saturated...would make a great fall color print film..

Dave

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin