Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,207   Posts: 1,531,886   Online: 1060

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by L Gebhardt
    Dave, isn't this a digital process? First the device scans the slide, then prints it with LEDs onto RA4 paper. I think Ilfochrome is the only analog method to produce prints direct from positives, besides the reversal of RA4 paper.
    Yes, it is called a digital printing system, but I did not see the person posing this question as an either or question, he just asked if it was possible to make prints from slides, many of the labs, even when printing negative film now a days uses a system of this nature..I think fuji is the only company currently producing a reversal paper for color printing and it is very difficult to even find it on their website, it is under their pro lab stuff.

Dave

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek Lofgreen
    Jos. I was just looking at the tech sheet for ilfochrome and it is the same paper labs use in lightjets. So you are kind of doing ilfochromes.

D.
    No, Lightjets normally use RA-4 paper, Ilfochrome is a different paper and different process.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    so, do lightjets project a neg?
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Datchet, Berkshire UK- about 20 miles west of London
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    A lot of this question dpends on whether you want to print every shot you make( or at least a large number) or just want to print the occasional photograph at high quality.

If you want to print all or most then you're probably going to use a minilab, either traditional or- more likely- a digital lab like a Frontier. These are most often set up to print from neg film somewhat better and I think a large majority of the time you'll get a better result, more consistently, from negs.

For the occasional special print, I tend to prefer the result from slides but its a subjective thing. On the one hand its easier to select a photograph to print by looking at a slide rather than a neg. On the other hand Ilfochromes in particular are pretty contrasty and when used with a contrasty original can look pretty bad. In times of old labs used to offer contrast masking to counter this, but that's rare to impossible to find and frankly the best Ilfochromes I see are made slowly and painstakingly by photographers themselves, not by labs.

I've never liked the interneg technique for my work. I've invariably found the result dull and lacking in sparkle.

Finally as indicated above there are a range of digital and hybrid options. The best of these in my view scans the slide and uses a LightJet or Chromira to make a print on real photographic paper ( often the same Fuji Crystal Archive often used for prints from negs). Labs such as West Coast Imaging (www.westcoastimaging ) can give you an idea of whats possible. There's a myriad of choices to be made about who scans it, on what, who creates the file, what paper you print on, and so on but on balance this route has produced the best prints I've seen from my work. The best labs aren't cheap for this sort of work however, and especially if you want t single print from the image. There are cheaper sources using broadly similar techniques but sadly access to a LightJet and a film scanner doesn't necessarily make the best prints.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    As you can tell from the replies already given, the answer depends on this question: do you want to print yourself or use a lab?

If you use a lab, the answer is the transparency is scanned and printed on a lightjet type (or LED) projection machine. Most labs print on RA4 - there are few left in North America that print on Ilfochrome. Either way, the secret to getting good prints (aside from starting with a good transparency) is tweaking the digital image for the the specific paper it will be printed on.

If you are going to print it yourself, then Ilfochrome is the only process available (other than scanning and output to inkjet).

Without knowing your darkroom background, I will add this: if you are intending to learn color printing, I would suggest starting with color negs and printing RA4 - the stuff you throw away in the process will cost a lot less. Then if you want, move on the Ilfochrome from transparencies, just remember that everything is backward from printing from negs.

As previously stated, Ilfochrome is a highly saturated, contrasty medium - great for some types of subjects, like landscapes, but not for people pictures.

Bob
    "I always take a camera, That way I never have to say 'Gee, look at that - I wish I had a camera'" -Joe Clark, H.B.S.S.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by reub2000
    As I thought. A camera with a beam splitter to expose a reversal and negative film at the same time would be nice.
    If your goal is to get both prints and slides, another option to consider is to shoot negative film and then get slides made from your negatives. Several commercial photofinishers, such as PhotoWorks and Dale Labs, offer this as an option with C-41 film processing and/or can do it on a frame-by-frame basis (similar to ordering reprints from negatives). I'm sure it's possible to do this yourself, too. It'd be similar to slide copying, but you'd need a special film to do the job, and I'm not sure offhand precisely what film you'd use. You could also do it digitally with a slide-making device after you scan a negative. There may be labs that'll do it for you from scans, but I don't have any references offhand, unless perhaps PhotoWorks or Dale Labs offers this service.

Whether this is a good approach depends on your precise needs and priorities. The slide produced in this way will be a copy, which means it will be slightly degraded compared to the negative. A conventional E-6 or K-14 slide, shot of the original scene, would probably be sharper and would most likely be different in terms of color balance, contrast, etc. OTOH, this approach means you can make as many identical slides as you like from the original, you can adjust the color balance or other factors to suit your taste, and you can make inexpensive RA-4 prints from the original negative. (You could get the first two advantages from making traditional copy slides from slides, of course, but then you'd get the disadvantages of this approach, too.)

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Unlike the resources available to the B&W worker, with color you are much more limited. Yes, you can shoot negative film, which is simpler to print, but many more companies are getting out of processing C41, so you will also have to add developing your negatives to your TODO list. Printing slides at home is more difficult, and there are very few labs left that optically print Ilfochrome. Digital hybrid prints onto RA-4 paper is still readily available, and seems to be where the industry will go.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The nice thing about Ilfochrome prints is that the dyes are much more stable and resistant to fading than those used by other color processes.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Markok765
    so, do lightjets project a neg?
    No Markok, LightJet (and Lamba) printers use a laser from a TIFF file to expose the paper. The Chromira printer uses LEDs.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Robert I just checked here http://www.ilford.com/html/us_englis...lfochrome2.asp and it says for lightjets. I don't know, maybe know one useses ifochrome for lightjets but it seems they are marketing it for that purpose. You would know more about this than I for sure so maybe I am reading it wrong.

D.
    My Photography Site www.lofgreenimages.com and My Blog

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin