Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,728   Posts: 1,515,220   Online: 946

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek Lofgreen
    Robert I just checked here http://www.ilford.com/html/us_englis...lfochrome2.asp and it says for lightjets. I don't know, maybe know one useses ifochrome for lightjets but it seems they are marketing it for that purpose. You would know more about this than I for sure so maybe I am reading it wrong.

D.
    Interesting .... most labs use Fuji Crystal Archive paper with their LightJet printers, I wasn't aware they could also be used with Ilfochrome, although I am not surprised. I guess it is just a matter of switching the chemistry. I know Bob Carnie prints Ilfochrome on his Lambda, so the paper is pretty flexible. Thanks for the link, and the heads up.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    We have been printing ilfochrome through our Lambda for a few years now.
    A couple of years ago a lab out of California with a Lightjet phoned us up re digital printing ciba. Basically they could not do the process due to insufficient laser power with the lightjet. I am not sure if this is the case today as in North America there are very few of us doing this process.
    Lamont Imaging in New York is doing this with a Lambda to my knowlege as well as a lab in Pheonix using the Lambda system.
    All our work is at 400ppi which is slower transport which may make this possible . I tried to hook up with a local competitor years ago who invested in Lightjet about the same time I bought my ciba processor. They were not to interested in a collaboration to see if it worked.
    When done properly a digital ciba kicks ass.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Carnie
    When done properly a digital ciba kicks ass.
    Having seen them firsthand, I say a big "Amen" to that. You can't get any better.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hi Reub,
    Lot's of knowledgable folks have responded to this! The bottom line for you is how many years, and how much money do you have to learn Ilfochrome for yourself? The learning curve is long, but I believe it is worth it. Without using computers, optical darkroom exposure onto Ilfochrome material is the last remaining process to go directly from a slide, in a traditional color darkroom. The primary advantages of this are first generation sharpness, color, and contrast. I suggest you try some of the above mentioned alternatives and see if you like them, before building an Ilfochrome darkroom.
    Good luck.
    Long Live Ciba!!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As I remember, when the LightJet was being introduced, they were supposed to have or be developing a special hood/light shield to be used with the Ciba/Ilfochrome material. Whether this ever came to fruition, I do not know.

Rich
    Richard A. Nelridge
    http://www.nelridge.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    [QUOTE=srs5694]If your goal is to get both prints and slides, another option to consider is to shoot negative film and then get slides made from your negatives. Several commercial photofinishers, such as PhotoWorks and Dale Labs, offer this as an option with C-41 film processing and/or can do it on a frame-by-frame basis (similar to ordering reprints from negatives). I'm sure it's possible to do this yourself, too. It'd be similar to slide copying, but you'd need a special film to do the job, and I'm not sure offhand precisely what film you'd use.

This is an antiquated process called a print film, incredibly hard to do and vericolor slide film is not made anymore. This film was a clear base c41 process that made a slide direct from your neg. Yes it's a slide from a neg on clear base neg film. I used to do these in the lab and its bass ackwards process but once you get your head around its not that bad. Anyway I only knew of one lab that could do these properly and they are long gone.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, it's a process in very common use - it's the way movies are printed. There's a bit of a mismatch between motion picture print film and still negative film, but it can be done, and as far as I know Dale still do it. Next time I send a batch of film to Dale for processing I will ask for slides out of curiosity.

Best,
    Helen

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by davetravis
    Hi Reub,
    Lot's of knowledgable folks have responded to this! The bottom line for you is how many years, and how much money do you have to learn Ilfochrome for yourself? The learning curve is long, but I believe it is worth it. Without using computers, optical darkroom exposure onto Ilfochrome material is the last remaining process to go directly from a slide, in a traditional color darkroom. The primary advantages of this are first generation sharpness, color, and contrast. I suggest you try some of the above mentioned alternatives and see if you like them, before building an Ilfochrome darkroom.
    Good luck.
    Long Live Ciba!!!
    There is a certain feeling that comes from hand-enlarging a slide onto Ilfochrome, when done well. A feeling of accomplishment. I used to enjoy it, but realize it is expensive, and as you say the learning curve is long. I have a 20+ Cibachrome print hanging on the wall at home. It isn't a great image, but a favorite, because I did the entire process (develop the film, print the picture, cut the mats and framed it).
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I've decided to use negative film for the time being. I told my dad to pick up some Kodak 100UC the next time he is at Central Camera.

I don't have a darkroom, so doing prints on my own using Ilfochrome right now is not an option.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That is also a good way to go. The UC c-41 film is good and saturated.

D.
    My Photography Site www.lofgreenimages.com and My Blog

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin