Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,565   Posts: 1,545,338   Online: 992

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Robert,
    Well said!
    It's always great to hear someone has tried Ciba for themselves.

roy
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by roteague
    There is a certain feeling that comes from hand-enlarging a slide onto Ilfochrome, when done well
    I agree. Whenever I have used the process, I had problems getting the filtration right. On the occasions when I did manage to get accurate colour renditions without using too much paper, I felt a great sense of satisfaction.
    Roy Groombridge.

Cogito, ergo sum.
    (Descartes)

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by davetravis
    Robert,
    Well said!
    It's always great to hear someone has tried Ciba for themselves.
    Thanks. I should have said I have a "20+" year old print... I've looked into getting Ciba here, but it just isn't possible.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    For Whatever it is worth,

I have a ciba lab...

www.cibachrome.com or www.ilfochrome.com or www.hiddenlightllc.com

Ilfochrome classic is the most beautiful color print material available.

It is so sad to see so many apugers talk so negatively about the posibility of optical color printing... I realize there aren't very many of us left, and I'm scared.

While it it more convenient to have digital prints made, there is nothing like an optical print....

There is something very natural, organic, about the gradiation, graduation of tone with optical prints. There are many to say digital is continuous tone, but it is NOT.

Ilfochrome is So beautiful.

Corey

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Hi Corey

I have a ciba lab as well, I print both digitally and optically, I have stated in many other posts that there are considerations for both printing styles.
    Sharpness is best obtained from original slide optically to ciba material. I am finding more problems in the last few years finding readily available clmk and cfk for those images of higher contrast range which creates a huge challange controlling contrast and colour saturation.* Gone are the Days of clients willing to spend 2-3hundred dollars on complicated masks for this purpose*
    As well printing 30x40 murals from smaller format is a challange from the get go . *cleaning original to perfection, no glass carrier because of this problem therefore transparancy popping and soft edges, contrast control and long exposures.*
    In these cases I find the digital method more convienient , to clean image, sharp from corner to corner, and as well the unlimited local contrast and colour controls available.
    We look at each transparancy and or slide on an individual basis to determine which printing method will produce the best result for a final image.
    I really don't think one method is better. Just another option to get good resuts.
    Re: the continuous tone issue. maybe you are looking at prints produced on lower resolution or onto materials that cannot hold the detail like cibachrome.
    We have printed the same images opticaly and digitally onto cibachrome at 15x mag and louped the results and like what we see as side by side comparisons. This was an issue for me before we invested into any digital devices.
    For what it is worth, a scan in my opinion, no matter how well done is a second generation, much like an interneg , there will be loss .
    Cibachrome from phase or high end 35 digital devices -direct to cibachrome do not suffer this generation loss and mimic a natural print.
    I think this is where the new printers and materials will find their niche.
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by boyooso
    For Whatever it is worth,

I have a ciba lab...

www.cibachrome.com or www.ilfochrome.com or www.hiddenlightllc.com

Ilfochrome classic is the most beautiful color print material available.

It is so sad to see so many apugers talk so negatively about the posibility of optical color printing... I realize there aren't very many of us left, and I'm scared.

While it it more convenient to have digital prints made, there is nothing like an optical print....

There is something very natural, organic, about the gradiation, graduation of tone with optical prints. There are many to say digital is continuous tone, but it is NOT.

Ilfochrome is So beautiful.

Corey

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin