Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,206   Posts: 1,531,827   Online: 915

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Can you print from slides?

Can you make prints from slides? How would they compare to a print made from a negative? Should I be using a negative if I intend to print a picture?

Shooter
    35mm
    Yes, you can make prints from slides. AFAIK, the only current standard "wet darkroom" process for printing from color slides is Ilfochrome, which requires both Ilfochrome paper and Ilfochrome chemistry. This is pretty expensive compared to RA-4 materials for printing from color negatives. There used to be other processes for printing directly from slides, but they've been discontinued.

It's possible to print from slides using RA-4 and an extra development and reversal step -- you develop in standard B&W print developer (Dektol, etc.), use a stop bath, rinse, expose the print to light to fog it, and then put it through the normal RA-4 process. The result tends to be a bit odd, though, with very high contrast and colors that are off. The result can be interesting for some shots, but it's probably not something you'd want to use for most shots. If you skip the extra initial steps and just process in bog-standard RA-4, you'll get a negative image, which again can be interesting for some shots but isn't remotely "normal."

Another way to get prints from slides is to create an internegative and then print that using RA-4. Use a slide duplicating setup to photograph the slide and then go from there as if it were a normal negative.

Then of course there's the digital route -- scan the slide and either print it on your own printer or take the scan to a photofinisher.

On the whole, I'd say if your goal is to get prints you should be using negative film. OTOH, some people think Ilfochrome's the best thing since sliced bread, and of course you can get different effects with each of these methods.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ilfochrome is a really beautiful thing but is expensive and if you need a lab to do it, they're getting scarce. Fuji was making a nice paper and chemicals for this but it may be discontinued. Kodak used to have a process but no more.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    On the whole, I'd say if your goal is to get prints you should be using negative film.
    As I thought. A camera with a beam splitter to expose a reversal and negative film at the same time would be nice.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by srs5694
    Yes, you can make prints from slides. AFAIK, the only current standard "wet darkroom" process for printing from color slides is Ilfochrome, which requires both Ilfochrome paper and Ilfochrome chemistry. This is pretty expensive compared to RA-4 materials for printing from color negatives. There used to be other processes for printing directly from slides, but they've been discontinued.
    Wrong,

I have slides printed on RA-4 color paper all the time, the exposure is done on a Noritsu 2900 system that exposes the slide, just as if it was a negative, on traditional RA-4 paper and it is processed through the normal RA-4 paper, they can run them before they mount them or they can run them after they mount them, illfordchrome is not the only option now a days, this is an optical LED system making the exposure on traditional paper. And they look quite good!

Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by reub2000
    As I thought. A camera with a beam splitter to expose a reversal and negative film at the same time would be nice.
    If your thinking this way then your thinking wrong, as I said in another post, I have slides printed on an RA-4 process paper all the time, the options are out there, it depends on the lab your working with.

Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'll say it !! I scan my MF slides on my Nikon LS 8000---send to my local lab and printed on a LightJet --IMPRESSIVE!! I print my negs in a traditional darkroom but I've never tried the IlfoChrome method for my slides ! I'm in awe with some of my Provia (my fave) 120 slides!!
    Joseph Burke

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Parker
    Wrong,

I have slides printed on RA-4 color paper all the time, the exposure is done on a Noritsu 2900 system that exposes the slide, just as if it was a negative, on traditional RA-4 paper and it is processed through the normal RA-4 paper, they can run them before they mount them or they can run them after they mount them, illfordchrome is not the only option now a days, this is an optical LED system making the exposure on traditional paper. And they look quite good!

Dave
    Dave, isn't this a digital process? First the device scans the slide, then prints it with LEDs onto RA4 paper. I think Ilfochrome is the only analog method to produce prints direct from positives, besides the reversal of RA4 paper.

Shooter
    35mm
    Yes, you can prints made from slides. I used to have this done all the time.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Jos. I was just looking at the tech sheet for ilfochrome and it is the same paper labs use in lightjets. So you are kind of doing ilfochromes.

D.
    My Photography Site www.lofgreenimages.com and My Blog

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin