Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,206   Posts: 1,531,792   Online: 909

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Dissapointed with prints from lab. Help!

I have been a bit disappointed with some of the prints I've been getting from my usual lab.

I'm sure it is the prints not my exposure - I'm using a Nikon F5 and it has been mainly in connection with shots taken at weddings - not handy ones to get wrong!

The prints seem very flat and skin tones are poor - sometimes people can look ill!

So I want to send a roll of negs off to another lab for a direct comparison.

Can anyone suggest a really good lab for RA4 in the UK?

Any help much appreciated
    Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What kind of film are you using? I know I had a couple of problems this summer on one of the weddings I did, the normal film that I was using was looking blue and flat, I sot a couple of test rolls with another type and they looked alot better..

Dp

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I only use fresh Kodak Portra 400NC.

I try and eliminate any possible chance for errors in exposure or with the negative generally. I expose 400NC at 320. The negs look fine too.

I'm suspicious because I know the lab was busy this week and I am wondering if they just printed them rather quickly.....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I know I was real disapointed in my results from 160NC and 400NC this summr, but you might be right, they could hav rushed through them without much correction as needed, have you taken them back in and asked them to check to see if they can be done better? I know the local lab here I work with, will always print over if I am unhappy and can describe why I am unhappy..

Dp

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This is why I want to have them reprinted by somewhere else reputable first so I can do a side by side comparison.

I just cant believe my negs are that bad!! - I'm sure the prints should be better.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Oh I agree, I know you can miss pretty big with C41 and still get quite good prints with them, I do know alot of the labs here in the states will print pro films of weddings neutral...I would say if the exposure in the negs look good, there should be no reason to get good prints..

Good luck, I sorry, I don't know about any of the labs in the UK, so can't help there..

Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Peak Imaging (http://www.peak-imaging.com/htmls/title.htm) are the lab I keep hearing are very good. I rarely shoot colour so have no personal experience of them, but I'm sure some other UK colour shooters will pop up with experienced suggestions...

Cheers, Bob.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't know your situation completely, but if the lab has done well for you in the past, why don't you just communicate your problem and give them another chance to reprint the order. RA4 prints can be printed many different ways with many different cast of colors and contrast; can't get them right 100% all of the time.

It the lab refuses or questions your request, then dump them.

Shane Knight
    www.shaneknight.com

western horse

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane Knight
    I don't know your situation completely, but if the lab has done well for you in the past, why don't you just communicate your problem and give them another chance to reprint the order. RA4 prints can be printed many different ways with many different cast of colors and contrast; can't get them right 100% all of the time.

It the lab refuses or questions your request, then dump them.

Shane Knight
    www.shaneknight.com

western horse
    I totally agree with you - I really like the people at this lab and get on well with them. I will speak to them probably tomorrow, but I would like to see another attempt by someone else too.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt5791
    I really like the people at this lab and get on well with them.
    That alone is worth a pot of gold.

Good luck!!

shane knight
    horse photography

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin