Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,472   Posts: 1,570,933   Online: 805

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

VoidoidRamone - You out there? Interesting color shot.

No dog in this fight, but I thought the color buffs might enjoy this. There seems to be huge interest in any case.

J

http://cgi.ebay.com/WILLIAM-CHRISTEN...QQcmdZViewItem

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I was thinking about buying his new boor a few days ago, he has some really interesting stuff. I like that print, but there's no way I could afford it.
    -Grant

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jon koss
    No dog in this fight, but I thought the color buffs might enjoy this.
    I must be the wrong kind of color buff, but I wouldn't go more than $8.50 for the print, much less $850. It is a horrible print, looks like something I would get at WalMart.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    35mm
    Somebody's having a laugh here - surely. It looks like a very ordinary snapshot that anyone could have taken and only a 5 x 3 inch print as well! There's much better in our galleries.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think I smell an Egggleton-like moment...
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Christenberry strikes me as an obsessive type, but interesting as such types can be. I recently saw his exhibit at the Smithsonian American Art Museum in Washington DC and was impressed. In addition to some excellent photographs, he also had some sculptures and drawings that made for a interesting perspective on the Southern US environs and his reaction to the KKK.

There seems to be quite a flirtation with time and sequences in contemporary photography - witness Christenberry and Sugimoto.

Great use of color IMO. Not knock-'em-dead, bowl-you-over, bright-and-pretty postcard stuff but very subdued and sensual nonetheless. Definitely distinctive as is Eggleston, Shore, Sternfeld, etc. If I could afford these guys, I'd buy the sofa to match the print...

To quote Goethe: "Colors are the Deeds and Afflictions of Light." I think we see both with Christenberry.

Joe
    Last edited by smieglitz; 09-11-2006 at 08:23 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by roteague
    I must be the wrong kind of color buff, but I wouldn't go more than $8.50 for the print, much less $850. It is a horrible print, looks like something I would get at WalMart.
    Those were my thoughts, exactly. Before I read Robert's and pentaxuser's posts. It seems there's at least three of us that think it's a joke.

Bob
    "I always take a camera, That way I never have to say 'Gee, look at that - I wish I had a camera'" -Joe Clark, H.B.S.S.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lopaka
    Those were my thoughts, exactly. Before I read Robert's and pentaxuser's posts. It seems there's at least three of us that think it's a joke.

Bob
    Make that 4

Honestly, this looks very much like the photographs I took of my grandfather's old barber shop years ago before I knew anything about photography other than point and shoot. Focus on the subject and put everything dead center.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lopaka
    It seems there's at least three of us that think it's a joke.
    No Joke.

B

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by billschwab
    Because the photographer had established a 'name' it has value to certain collectors. To me, it only has value if I like the image. While there may be no accounting for taste, (mine in this case ) I just don't find that image particularly inspiring.

Bob
    "I always take a camera, That way I never have to say 'Gee, look at that - I wish I had a camera'" -Joe Clark, H.B.S.S.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin