Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,228   Posts: 1,532,793   Online: 933

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

New Portra 160 and 400, no more 100T

After the recent improvements to Portra 800, Kodak have announced improvements to the 160 and 400 films in the Portra range, but they will be dropping 100T.

Link

Best,
    Helen

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The big question is: What sizes will they be offering these films in? Any sheet sizes? 220?
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    So this is real. When I saw the announcement yesterday I figured somebody had sent out an old press release -) I couldn't find any info on the Kodak website when I went to look yesterday.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole
    The big question is: What sizes will they be offering these films in? Any sheet sizes? 220?
    Tech Sheet 4040(Sept 2006) says

160NC: 35mm,120,220,long rolls and sheets(no size mentioned)
    160VC: 35mm,120,220, sheets, readyloads.
    400NC: 35mm,120,220,long rolls and sheets
    400VC: 35mm,120,220.
    800 :35mm, 120,220
    Amund

Shooter
    Multi Format

but, how much will it cost?

I was browsing the kodak web site to read about the new Portra. I noticed a mail-in rebate on the new Portra products -- "purchase five rolls or a five-pack..." to receive a $20 rebate. The address to send it to is "$20 Off Portra wth Purchase of $125" So how much is this film going to cost... $25 per roll?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Brian, I double checked the coupon and they are saying "buy $125 or more worth" in the timeframe stated and received the $20.00 rebate.
    wooh, ya scared me a bit there for a moment!
    Douglas Westphal

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'll have to re-read it myself. It was getting late (6 PM) and my comprehension skills might have been on the decline!

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Well, I have 160 rolls of the stuff (35 and 120, NC and VC) and preliminary results show it's good stuff that scans well. Lots more shooting to do yet, though...

Cheers,

Roger (www.rogerandfrances.com)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    This is a nice shot in the arm for those of us still shooting film. Good to see Kodak is still in the game.
    Bob

I hope this shuts up the a-holes that insist that Kodak is getting out of the film business. Portra is, in my mind, the premiere color negative line out there. It is tops for skintones. Fuji makes great film, don't get me wrong, but for the caucasian skin tones I tend to shoot in weddings, the Kodak product gives me more pleasing results. It's going to be great having 1/2 of the grain now that they have incorporated their double electron sensitization into the process. Kodak's twisted thinking is that the 160NC they have out now is probably finer-grained than the original 100T, so they axed 100T. That sort of reasoning is kinda silly, like when they got rid of their 800 speed movie stock because the old version was grainier than their new 500 speed pushed 1 stop, but so is their philosophy to not tell you that something has been discontinued until they've almost run out of it. For all we know they could have stopped making Kodachrome a year ago, and they'll only tell us when they have almost none left.

Regards,

~Karl Borowski

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin