E-6 Processing woes - Update
Thanks to all who tried their best to help me during my angst with E-6 processing ( http://www.apug.org/forums/forum40/31028-e-6-processing-something-wrong.html )
Just wanted to tell you a couple of things that really improved the process, at least to the point where I am very happy with the results. The first thing was, the thermometer I was using wasn't very accurate (or at least it didn't agree with any other one). I settled on the thermometer supplied with the CPE-2 kit, which wound up having me process about 1.5 degress F warmer. Also, I switched my rotation speed from 1 to 2, which is much faster (the Jobo literature suggested this). So, after mixing a fresh batch of chemistry and just starting from scratch, this is what I wound up with:
Fuji Velvia 100, processed in Tetenal 3 bath E-6
I'm sure I'll get better as I go along (hopefully). I am going to experiment with the ph changes to alter color shifts, but it's just not that big of a deal right now. Still learning, but happy
I'd say that's pretty good. I like it.
If I can ever get my hands on a processor I may try doing some E6 myself as well. Those rolls of Velvia 50 I have shouldn't just sit in my film drawer.
No idea what's going to happen next, but I'm hoping it involves being wrist deep in chemicals come the weekend.
Glad to hear you're making progress, Jack. Nice image, as well.
I'm thinking about trying this myself. I don't have a Jobo processor, but was thinking about using my Paterson tank.
Hey Bob! You can flat do it with a Paterson tank. I was doing the inversion process for a while, but I had a real crapola tank which made it hard to do. In all honesty, I think temperature was killing me, I had no idea my thermometer (brand new) was so far off. I think I said it wrong in my OP, but it was 1 1/2 degrees Celcius, and that's a bunch! Irregardless, my results now are no comparison to what I was getting
Originally Posted by ccbob
I went ahead and ordered an E-6 kit from FreeStyle. It's enough to make 32 oz. My Paterson tank is capable of holding two 35mm reels, which I think amounts to using just under 20 oz of chemicals. This should be enough for me to experiment with.
Now if I could get off this mandatory overtime, maybe I'd get some time to actually try it.
BTW, are you using a single-shot method, or reusing the developer?
Sponsored Ad. (Subscribers to APUG have the option to remove this ad.)
I'm reusing. Right now I'm processing two rolls at the time using about 500ml of fresh chemistry. I'll then reuse that same 500ml 2 more times (six rolls) and adjust first developer time for each successive run. I'm still in the 'testing' phase, but so far I haven't seen any noticeable difference re-using. I'm working out of a 5 liter kit, so I'm mixing fresh about every week or two. It's working so far
Thanks for all the info.
Looks great. Now you've got me thinking I'll do my own now. Nic image BTW.
Just in case anyone is interested, I do have a complete Kodak E6 Kit that I would like to find a new home for, it is a single use kit designed to make 5 liters and is a 7 step kit, I am sure I could make a decent deal on it for someone.
I certainly wouldn't complain at that. I've been processing slides at home for about 44 years and have had a lot of books published (check www.rogerandfrances.com).