Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,273   Posts: 1,534,539   Online: 987

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Med. Format RF

recommendations for color enlarging paper?

i'm taking a color darkroom class for the first time this semester and i have no clue which paper to get for RA-4..

kodak's site for endura papers seem pretty straight forward..
    i guess i could start with supra..

but what about fuji papers? Fujicolor Crystal Archive Pro Type PIII, Fujicolor Crystal Archive Pro Super Type PD, Fujicolor Crystal Archive Pro Super Type C?

and one other thing, how long does my color paper last in room temperature?

thanks in advance!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Either Kodak Endura or Fuji Crystal Archive Pro Type PIII would work you just fine. I can't tell you how long they will last at room temperature though.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Welcome to APUG.
    No idea what's going to happen next, but I'm hoping it involves being wrist deep in chemicals come the weekend.

Shooter
    35mm
    fuji's papers are rated by wilhelm to last longer than kodak's for what it's worth. After working in 3 labs....2 for one company running fuji equipment and paper and one running agfa equipment/kodak paper. Fuji has my complete and entire backing I know the prints aren't comperable because of the difference in equipment, but FCA when printed correctly is stunning. that kodak "royal gold" or whatever consumer paper looks like ass.

hka
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Fuji Crystal Archive
    harry

Release, the best you can do...

Shooter
    35mm
    As somebody who's only been doing color printing for a few months, I have a different perspective: If you're just starting out, you're unlikely to notice the subtle differences in color rendering between different brands of color paper. Just getting a print where summer leaves are green and brick walls are red will be enough of a challenge; the subtle differences between different brands and types of paper will be insignificant compared to the deviations from optimality produced by your own inexperience. This has certainly been true for me; even now, ten months after doing my first color print, getting a print with color that's in the right ballpark can be a challenge. A partial exception to this advice might be in contrast. IIRC, Kodak offers three contrast grades and Fuji offers two contrast grades in their color papers. Of course, you might also have preferences in finish.

Thus, for just learning, I'd say to buy whatever's cheapest, and stick with that brand and type until you're familiar with color printing. At that point you can begin to experiment with different brands (basically just Fuji and Kodak at this point) and types to figure out what best suits your preferences.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I agree with the above post, the differences in papers are quite subtle, and the type of paper you use when starting out isn't going to make much difference.
    But I am going to say I prefer the Kodak (Royal & Endura) papers to Fuji CA.
    Film's not dead, it's just got a negative image.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    If you're just beginning, go with the cheapest. For most people, it takes a while to "get" the whole color filtration concept so you'll go through a lot of paper at first. I've used both and I like both, but I prefer the Fuji.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    thanks everyone. i got supra endura. will expect to blow 200 sheets of 8x10 in a week or two..

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would suggest that colour paper will last through one summer of room temperature, after that the paper base colour seems to lose it's whiteness. By the time the next summer is coming around, there appears to be a slight (but correctable) colour shift.That is my personal experience with, Kodak, Fuji and the late Agfa RA4 colour papers

Two hundred sheets of colour paper in a week or two, wow!

If you do actually use two hundred sheets of paper in a two week period, then I would suggest that you should cool your jets, slow down and evaluate just where you are heading in your search for perfect colour.

Colour printing takes time to learn, sure you can speed up the initial earning process, but the basics take a little time to sink in long term.

Nearly everyone I personally know, who is good at colour printing, had a period of time where printing correct colour became their holy grail. It seemed that no matter what they did, their efforts went unrewarded, no matter what equipment they bought, methods they read about, or things they adjusted, nothing seemed to work well.

Then one day, colour printing clicked!

That is also, how it was for me.

Mick.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin