Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,228   Posts: 1,532,817   Online: 976

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

EFKE arschrome 100???

Dear APUG members,
    Since I'm new in photography, recently I've faced one serious problem; two weeks ago, at the local flea market, I've bought 20 diapositive films for 1$. It expired in 1989. It's written "efke arschrome 100" on it, without any process informations nor suggestions. Immediately, I loaded my camera with that particular film, and after finishing it, brought it to the photo store to develop it. Next day they told me that they are not able to develop it because it needs different process, not standard E6. A guy who has been working for them in 1980's told me that arschrome was lounched on the market just before "Univerzijada '87" (student olimpic games in Zagreb 1987) and it was some kind of efke's market strategy. He couldn't recall which process was used to develop that film.

So, is there any known process for "efke arschrome 100"?
    Beside that, I have one roll of Kodak Ectachrome (120 format). Could I face the same problem with Kodak?
    Thank you for your time and advices.
    PS: sorry for the confusion, I know I'm not accurate when I'm write in english

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    zdravo 6x6x9
    I can't answer the Efke question, but the Ektachrome should be standard E-6. You might check with your lab before you expose it.

Your English is fine. Much better than my Hrvatski.
    juan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If the Ektachrome's newer than the mid to late 1970s, it's almost certainly E-6. It could be E-4; it'll say on the package somewhere.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There also were other proprietary reversal chemistries/processes at the time. Agfachrome CT-18 was such a proprietary process. It's possible there were other films, such as Efke, that were based on that process. If so, there's no hope of getting it processed properly, though it could be cross-processed in C-41 chemistry. The results would be weird at best, and useless at worst.

BTW, I liked CT18 better than anything except Kodachrome.
    Honey, I promise no more searching eBay for cameras.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Earlier products will not go through modern processes due to the temperature.

Don't process old color films in modern processes (general rule) as they are too soft.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I can certainly understand why the name was not successful!

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Caulfield View Post
    I can certainly understand why the name was not successful!
    Looking back, I am sure sales bottomed out rather quickly.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    That would have been a bummer for all concerned.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Originally Posted by Photo Engineer
    Earlier products will not go through modern processes due to the temperature.

Don't process old color films in modern processes (general rule) as they are too soft.
    True, but you could always hand-process it at a lower temperature

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That film might require one of the old Agfachrom/Agfacolor based colour diapositive processes that became prevalent in Eastern Europe. One such process is ORWO 9165.

The processing temperatures used by "modern" E6 is much higher than what is used by ORWO 9165: E6 is at 38 C and ORWO used an average of 25 C. Not only that- the Agfa and Kodak colour processing systems used different chemicals with equally different reactions to create the colour dyes. Lowering temperatures is not enough. I would also speculate that the couplers in the emulsion of an Agfacolor based film may not react to a chromogenic Kodak colour developer to form colour dyes.

Jay
    FED ZORKI SURVIVAL SITE
    RANGEFINDERFILIPINAS
    Zorkikat.Com

"不管黑猫白猫能抓到老鼠就是好猫。" 邓小平
    It doesn't matter if a cat is black or white, so long as it catches mice.-邓小平

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin