Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,700   Posts: 1,548,414   Online: 1058

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    For me, the ultimate is Kodachrome. I have 2 rolls of K25 in the fridge, and quite a few rolls of K64 as well. For C41 it's Porta 160NC and Reala 100. If I want more contrast I'll go for a Fuji; haven't tried the Kodak higher contrast films.

B&D: I'm thinking of picketing State Street with a "Don't Take My Kodachrome Away" sign. What do you think?
    Honey, I promise no more searching eBay for cameras.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    My favorite is FP-4. It really shows texture and can have a very long tonal range.

Robert Hall
    www.RobertHall.com
    www.RobertHall.com/mobile
    Apug Portfolio
    Facebook Profile

Technology is not a panacea. It alone will not move your art forward. Only through developing your own aesthetic - free from the tools that create it - can you find new dimension to your work.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Hall View Post
    My favorite is FP-4. It really shows texture and can have a very long tonal range.

Not really a colour film though.

I'd go for 400UC in 35mm and Portra 400VC in 220 for neg and Velvia 50 for slide.

David.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Earl Dunbar View Post
    B&D: I'm thinking of picketing State Street with a "Don't Take My Kodachrome Away" sign. What do you think?
    Heh - would make the cover of the papers at least! If they could see you through all the snow!

Unfortunately most of the folks here won't even know what the heck you are talking about!

[When I moved here and didn't see a proliferation of photo stores and cameras all over the place, I figured that the population wasn't as enthusiastic about photography as one would figure.
    B & D
    Rochester, NY
    ========================
    Quiquid Latine dictum sit altum viditur

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Bromo: Yup, same with me when I moved here. About 1 year or so ago I went into Rowe and asked for a C41 print film that could be push processed fairly well. The clerk, who wasn't a young person at all, said "You can't push C41 film." Huh? Maybe not in the mini-lab in Wegmans, but a custom lab can do it. What they might charge is a whole other story.

The only camera store I've found in town that seems to know their stuff is Hahn. Wright has some good stuff but there's not a lot of knowledge or enthusiasm there.

But at least Rowe sells a bunch of Pioneer plasma TVs....

Quote Originally Posted by Bromo33333 View Post
    Heh - would make the cover of the papers at least! If they could see you through all the snow!

Unfortunately most of the folks here won't even know what the heck you are talking about!

[When I moved here and didn't see a proliferation of photo stores and cameras all over the place, I figured that the population wasn't as enthusiastic about photography as one would figure.
    Honey, I promise no more searching eBay for cameras.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Earl Dunbar View Post
    Bromo: Yup, same with me when I moved here. About 1 year or so ago I went into Rowe and asked for a C41 print film that could be push processed fairly well. The clerk, who wasn't a young person at all, said "You can't push C41 film." Huh? Maybe not in the mini-lab in Wegmans, but a custom lab can do it. What they might charge is a whole other story.

The only camera store I've found in town that seems to know their stuff is Hahn. Wright has some good stuff but there's not a lot of knowledge or enthusiasm there.

But at least Rowe sells a bunch of Pioneer plasma TVs....
    We use Praus locally for developing (great guy) and he does B&W and E6 developing, and does a great job with prints. We tried Rochester Phtographic - and while they are great, I like Praus better.

RIT has a great film selection if you want something aside from Kodak (though I hear they are shutting the store down end of year).

I found Hahn to be nearly totally digital, though they had some (dusty) chemicals and papers there. Rowe was the same way, though they appeared to have developgin services and such - I prefer Rowe.

I shoot a lot of C-41 35mm on a day to day basis and develop at Wegmans, but for special stuff I use B&W 35mm and some slide film (E100G 120 film mostly).
    B & D
    Rochester, NY
    ========================
    Quiquid Latine dictum sit altum viditur

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My all time favorite color film is Gold 100 (GA). I've used it since its first generation was VR-G and gen 2 was Gold 100. It just looks right to me and the colors are just the way I like them. Skin tones are very good as well. Its a very stable film and easy to get quality prints from (as long as you use Kodak papers). My only beef with it is its grainy for its speed. I've also used Reala in both 35mm and 120 (both different versions) and its good too. In slide Velvia 50 would be it. I would be happy as long as Gold 100 is around, but it looks like I'll have to give up RVP 50.

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hka View Post
    I use the Fuji NPC 160 Pro for negatives and for slides I like the Provia very much... Both do have nice saturated colors and good skin color reproduction.

for large format -- ditto

but for 35mm, i also use fuji superia200 cause it is pretty inexpensive, works well, and they used to make the film stock (pre-emulsified) down the road from my house - so it always
    felt like i was helping the local economy.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bromo33333 View Post
    what do you guys prefer?
    EPY, for its low contrast, long scale and perfect color balance. When they finally stop making I'll probably go postal on their ass.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Woolliscroft View Post
    Not really a colour film though.

I'd go for 400UC in 35mm and Portra 400VC in 220 for neg and Velvia 50 for slide.

David.
    What, doesn't hand coloring count?

For nature shots in 35mm I prefer the Kodak Elitechrome 100 extra color. Its Cheap and in fact better than the Ektachrome 100 VS.
    For people I use the Fuji Astia 100 though I find it a bit to expensive for my wallet.
    When the speed is needed I use the Fuji Provia 400 Though speed is seldom needed, says my wallet
    In MF the only colorfilm I use regularly is the Fuji 160 (the soft one)

Cheers
    Søren
    Send from my Electronic Data Management Device using TWOFingerTexting

Technology distinquishable from magic is insufficiently developed

Søren Nielsen
    Denmark

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin