Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,206   Posts: 1,531,874   Online: 1039

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Favorite Color Film and Why?

I prefer Ektachrome - I like the color blanace, what do you guys prefer?
    B & D
    Rochester, NY
    ========================
    Quiquid Latine dictum sit altum viditur

dmr
    Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Bromo33333 View Post
    I prefer Ektachrome - I like the color blanace, what do you guys prefer?
    I seem to always go back to the Fuji Superia series for color negatives no matter what I try. Very smooth response, and works very well in available light and strange light situations. They tell me (the ubiquitous "they") that this 4th color layer is responsible for this.

Others I like are Kodachrome 64 for a slide film, and the rebranded Walgreens/Agfa 200 (which is now being closed out) for urban scenes -- not as punchy color as Fuji. I don't care for the W/A 400 (moot point now) and I had a disaster once with their 800.

I like Kodak Gold 200 and their Ultra Color 400. Second choice to Fuji.

I'm currently searchng for a Kodachrome replacement.
    Last edited by dmr; 10-11-2006 at 02:26 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    In 35mm, which I use only for stereo slides these days, I still use Kodachrome 64. I've always used Kodachrome in 35mm so I can't really compare it to other films in that size. For larger positives (120 and 4x5) I like E100G, mainly due to more natural colors than the more saturated films. I've also used VS, but I prefer G. If K64 goes away, I'll likely use the 100G in 35mm as a replacement.

- Randy

Shooter
    Large Format
    For scenic and exterior architectural work, I prefer to match film stock to scene contrast, so that I can achieve maximum tonal separation and detail. I shoot mostly LF (usually 8x10 these days) and am therefore limited to the emulsions available in that format.

For evenly lit or low contrast scenes, I use high contrast Velvia 100 and E100VS. Lately I have generally preferred Velvia 100 since it is more receptive to pushing and pulling, and has smaller grain. But E100VS is an excellent film and has its distinct strengths (particularly its strong rendition of yellows and reds).

For moderate contrast scenes, I use Provia 100F, which offers good color saturation and excellent processing flexibility for a chrome film (up to two stop push with little impact on color palette, which can be very useful when trying to achieve faster shutter speeds in windy conditions).

For high contrast scenes, I use print film (Portra 160VC or, most recently, Pro 160S; also Portra 400NC when I need more speed). The newly announced updated versions of Portra also look very interesting.

For portraits or interior architectural work, I use Pro 160S (and possibly in the future updated Portra 160NC) due to its low contrast, excellent handling of flesh tones, and flexibility with mixed lighting (I virtually never have to use color correction filters).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    4x5 and 120/220: 400nc or NPH.
    35mm: 160nc or NPH

Porta for a red/warm look, NPH for a cyan/cool look.

For e-6, E200. Usually at 400 or 800.

Shooter
    Large Format
    If I had to pick just one...I guess I'd have to say...eh, well...either Provia or E100G. Tough call. I really like 'em both.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    print film-Fuji NPS160, because it gives me a nature skin tone and handle red color better. slide film-Velvia 100, because it not as saturated as velvia 50 and has a very fine grain.
    Last edited by highpeak; 10-11-2006 at 02:17 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Most of my color film use is limited to family snaps and vacation photos. I like Fuji Reala 100 for this. It seems to strike the best balance of colors without being too muted or too saturated. Wal-Mart does a pretty good job processing it via their 1hr or 2day service, which is nice when you're out of town and need those pics of your family NOW.

Chris

hka
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use the Fuji NPC 160 Pro for negatives and for slides I like the Provia very much... Both do have nice saturated colors and good skin color reproduction.
    harry

Release, the best you can do...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For slide I love Kodachrome 64 and when that disappears, I will continue on with E100VS and GX. I also like Velvia too. I like the results of Kodachrome, it has a retro feel to the shots, E100VS is nice, forgiving and no surprises. Velvia is great when you want lots of colour and you are not shooting people.

For c-41 negative film Fuji Superia 100, 200, 400 and 800 all the way.

Bill
    "Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around once and a while, you might just miss it."
    Ferris Bueller

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin