Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,878   Posts: 1,520,317   Online: 1199

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Kodachrome

dmr
    Shooter
    35mm
    One disadvantage I occasionally hear about Kodachrome is that the dyes deteriorate (more quickly than the chromogenic ones??) under the heat and light of frequent and prolonged projection.

I really haven't seen this myself. I've never owned a slide projector and I've always taken slides with the intention of printing or scanning the good ones.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dmr View Post
    One disadvantage I occasionally hear about Kodachrome is that the dyes deteriorate (more quickly than the chromogenic ones??) under the heat and light of frequent and prolonged projection.

I really haven't seen this myself. I've never owned a slide projector and I've always taken slides with the intention of printing or scanning the good ones.
    I've never noticed this with the many Kodachrome slides I have accumulated over the years - but over all that time, I probably have only projected them a couple of dozen times. I mean, how often can you show slides and still keep friends?

Anyway, I just picked up the slides from my last two rolls. Tonight I'll pour a glass of wine and scan them. Then I'll pack the boxes carefully away, and lift my glass in a farewell toast to Kodachrome.

But, you know, I did see a whole bunch of the stuff sitting on the shelf at the store when I picked mine up today. Maybe I should....oh, no, got to give it up!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by copake_ham View Post
    I've never noticed this with the many Kodachrome slides I have accumulated over the years - but over all that time, I probably have only projected them a couple of dozen times. I mean, how often can you show slides and still keep friends?
    I dug into it a bit and found out that Kodachrome is a more color fast than ektachrome, and holds up much better to exposure to light. But because it is dye based, it will fade as well - it just will take longer.

I suppose that means that color film isn't very "archival" - especially when compared to B&W ... ?
    B & D
    Rochester, NY
    ========================
    Quiquid Latine dictum sit altum viditur

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Kodachrome dyes were at the leading edge of technology when the current process was developed in the 70s. Since then, no new advances have been made, but E6 film technology has advanced considerably and so has dye stability.

IDK what the comparitive situation is now, but I would guess that E6 and Kodachrome film are nearing parity for stability.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Bromo33333 View Post
    I dug into it a bit and found out that Kodachrome is a more color fast than ektachrome, and holds up much better to exposure to light. But because it is dye based, it will fade as well - it just will take longer.
    Back in the days when I developed slide-tape training programs (if you don't know what I'm talking about you are probably under 40 ) we found Kodachrome to be more durable in terms of colorfastness under frequently used and prolonged projection situations. But sometimes we would just use Ektachrome slides because they were cheaper to repro in quantity; we'd just replace the slides more often.

Near Tavistock, Devon, on the edge of Dartmoor.
    Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    Back in the days when I developed slide-tape training programs (if you don't know what I'm talking about you are probably under 40 ) .
    Indeed, I'm closer to 50 than to 40 and used to have a lot of fun with synchronised slide/tape shows. I used a Philips synchroniser and Sony TC105 quarter inch tape recorder (still got both). It was a good way of "upmarketing" the run-of-the-mill endless succession of slides with a commentary and music. Once everything was on tape, all that was needed was to turn up at a venue (usually a camera club, WI meeting, school, etc.,) set up the kit, hit play and then focus each slide as it appeared. The trick was in not forgetting when it was time to change Carousel magazines (which all had the zero tab removed for seamless changes). Antiquated technology now, but an interesting half-way stage between cine and a straightforward, potentially dull slide show. Audiences were a lot more receptive to something of a fixed length (usually 45mins to an hour) than to something where someone had the potential to be droning on into the small hours. Ah - happy days!

Steve

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    Back in the days when I developed slide-tape training programs (if you don't know what I'm talking about you are probably under 40 ) we found Kodachrome to be more durable in terms of colorfastness under frequently used and prolonged projection situations. But sometimes we would just use Ektachrome slides because they were cheaper to repro in quantity; we'd just replace the slides more often.
    Hey - I am under 40 (well, just, I like to think of it is "upper mid-30's" ) and I remember both the slide-tape shows (with the announcer, with a tone where you had to advance the tape in the projector), AND the warbley motion picture films at school. Most were pretty badly faded so they were kind of red and orange mostly, but this was in Missouri and school budgets weren't as high as in the coastal areas (though we didn't know any better!).

(Picked up a CD of a electronic group called "Boards of Canada" and they had a piece that used a warble that was similar to many of the nature films I saw as a kid with the atonal sythesizer music matching the atonial synthesizer music of the films! Ah memories!)
    B & D
    Rochester, NY
    ========================
    Quiquid Latine dictum sit altum viditur

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, after my last visit to Henry's to pick up some processed slides, I noticed that they had nice supply of Kodachrome 64. So you know what, I am going to keep shooting with it from time to time (in between the E100VS and Velvia 100) until Big Yellow decides to stop.

Put simple, don't bury it just yet. Kodachrome 64 in 35mm is still going strong, so go out and use some. When the shelves stopped being stocked that is the sign to change slide film.

Bill

PS I am under 40 too and I remember the movies and slide shows in school and thanks on the heads up on the Boards of Canada.
    "Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around once and a while, you might just miss it."
    Ferris Bueller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    the other day I doug out some of my mother's slides from the 1950's - Kodachrome.

I put them in the projector and showed them to some non-photographer friends. They could not believe they were almost 50 years old - they look, literally, like they were taken yesterday. There is one photo of a group of friends standing next to a 1950's car - it looks like a still from a recent film production.

It is actually very strange seeing images from this period that look "modern" in terms of colour, grain and general quality.

Incidentally, there are also a lot of slides in the same box which are Ektachrome - sadly these have not weathered the years like the Kodachrome. They have lost a lot of their blue-green.

It is also worth mentioning that these slides (the Kodachrome and Ektachrome) have been stored in very poor conditions indeed - years in cold, damp and then hot and dry attics.

I love Kodachome and have shot a lot in Super8 until recently when I have started using some of the negative emulsions now offered by Kodak Super8 - the problem with K40T is that it is of course ASA25 in daylight with the 85 filter, and that is just a really frustratingly slow speed when you can't change the shutter speed!

I still shoot it in 35mm still occasionally.

Matt
    Last edited by Matt5791; 10-20-2006 at 02:46 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: spelling

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've decided to buy a roll of Kodachrome every two weeks. Maybe that will force me to dig out my 35mm stuff and use it...either that or I will have TONS of stereo slides around! They say use it or lose it, so I will buy as often as I can just so I am not part of the problem (don't know if there is a solution to be a part of...) Heck, I was planning on doing some night photos in large format soon, maybe I'll take a 35mm along and do some night stuff in Kodachrome. Haven't tried that yet.
    --------------------
    "Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it." -Paul Strand

www.glasskeyphoto.com

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin