Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,961   Posts: 1,558,291   Online: 962

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Kodachrome

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt5791 View Post
    the other day I doug out some of my mother's slides from the 1950's - Kodachrome.
    [...]
    It is actually very strange seeing images from this period that look "modern" in terms of colour, grain and general quality.
    [...]
    Yeah, it is great when you can do that!

From PhotoEngineer it looks like the "archival" nature of Ektachromes made today may just hold up just as well as Kodachrome. But from the past - who knows! :-) [Though I am mistrustful of Dye-based anything, Ekta-, Koda-, or any of the myriad dye based color films from other companies!]

I wonder how well C-41 negatives will hold up? Anyone know? [I assume not very well]

The writing is on the wall, though, with only a couple of labs in the world that can process it, so it is just as well if E-6 films can hold up for 50 years if stored in the dark.
    B & D
    Rochester, NY
    ========================
    Quiquid Latine dictum sit altum viditur

dmr
    Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Bromo33333 View Post
    I wonder how well C-41 negatives will hold up? Anyone know? [I assume not very well]
    Here's a link to a scan from a 35yo Kodacolor-X (I think) negative. I've found that some negatives I have from that vintage produce amazingly good results. (Yes, I know it was a precursor to C41.)

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/phot...00&ppuser=1182

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have color negatives from the 50s and 60s that are holding up quite well. I also have C41 negatives from the 70s and 80s that are doing well also. I think that my negatives from that era are holding up better than my slides, but the slides are E1, E2, E3 and E4. I think that the E6 are doing well, but are too new to really judge.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    I have color negatives from the 50s and 60s that are holding up quite well. I also have C41 negatives from the 70s and 80s that are doing well also. I think that my negatives from that era are holding up better than my slides, but the slides are E1, E2, E3 and E4. I think that the E6 are doing well, but are too new to really judge.

PE
    PE:

Just a curiousity question here.

When was K12 replaced with K14, and when was E4 replaced with E6.

If anyone else has the dates, please feel free to chime in.

Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    PE:

Just a curiousity question here.

When was K12 replaced with K14, and when was E4 replaced with E6.

If anyone else has the dates, please feel free to chime in.

Matt
    Matt, I cannot remember either date exactly. The patent for K14 issued April 25th, 1972 (3,658,525), so the process came out shortly thereafter, say 1975. E6 was a little later than that, so I would put it about 1980. C41 was about 1970. Ektaprint 3 was about 1969. Sorry I can't do better than that.

Kodak tried to keep major product introductions from falling within the same year. That is one thing I do remember. We were told that we could come out a year on either side of another product, so that introduction and hype didn't overlap and tax production and marketing.

There was a very big push on to eliminate cadmium, mercury and ferricyanide and that was the object of all of these projects.

In an edit, I add this afterthought. That patent contains the entire process sequence and chemistry for Kodachrome. Have fun.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    PE:

Thanks, that helps me remember when I stopped using Kodachrome II, and started using Kodachrome 25.

Matt

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Having now burned off the last of my Kodachrome (although there may be one last roll stashed in Tucson?) I am trying our K's Elite Chrome Extra Color. I guess a "saturated" Ekta?

PE, any thoughts on this stuff as a "quasai-Kodachrome"?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Is it true that the original Kodachrome was invented by a pair of chamber musicians in their Rochester apartment?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I cannot say anything regarding Elite Chrome Extra Color I. I have not tried it.

Mannes and Godowsky were NYC musicians that were working on Kodachrome and attracted the attention of George Eastman. They moved to Rochester and completed the development.

This is a true story.

PE

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    I cannot say anything regarding Elite Chrome Extra Color I. I have not tried it.

Mannes and Godowsky were NYC musicians that were working on Kodachrome and attracted the attention of George Eastman. They moved to Rochester and completed the development.

This is a true story.

PE
    Was Mannes the same one who started the Mannes School of Music in NYC? Sounds logical....

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin