Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,002   Posts: 1,524,467   Online: 1081

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Kodachrome

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There are differences in formula between the two. AFAIK, Kodak does not age the film, but this may have changed. It is kept at the factory after manufacture, just due to shipping schedules. However, the professional product is made to tighter color balance tolerance, and the pro is expected to keep his film under better circumstances (and for less time) than the amateur.

PE

Shooter
    35mm

Pro vs Consumer

I've had the distinct impression that there are differant recommendations for push processing Kodachrome 200 Pro and consumer versions. Maybe this language is soley to target proffesionals (more likely to push-process) for the promotion of the more expensive Pro version. My gut is that the supposed aging, better "Pro film" storage in stores, and shorter expiration date make for a less pronounced color shift when pushed and in general-for this magenta happy film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I just got about 1700 Kodachrome slides in the mail...all from the 1950's and early 1960's. First thing first, as with every other Kodachrome I have, they are BEAUTIFUL. Not faded--looks like they were taken yesterday. As I was going through them, all I could think about was how much I want to shoot some medium or large format Kodachrome! It's so unfair!!! Maybe when the patent runs out on it someone somewhere will make it again...yeah. Right.
    --------------------
    "Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it." -Paul Strand

www.glasskeyphoto.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tjaded View Post
    I just got about 1700 Kodachrome slides in the mail...all from the 1950's and early 1960's. First thing first, as with every other Kodachrome I have, they are BEAUTIFUL. Not faded--looks like they were taken yesterday. As I was going through them, all I could think about was how much I want to shoot some medium or large format Kodachrome! It's so unfair!!! Maybe when the patent runs out on it someone somewhere will make it again...yeah. Right.
    I've said it before and here it is again.

The patents have run out. In fact, Kodak has 'released' the patent for the process. I'm not sure of the technical term, I forget, but if you look it up you will see that message appended to the last page of the official document from the USPO. Anyone is free to use the process or AFAIK make the film.

The problem is multifold:

1. It is an expensive and hard to make film.

2. It is a very expensive process to mix and maintain.

3. The market is very very tiny and has been shrinking steadily since the introduction of E6.

No one, but a very tiny dedicated minority wants it.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm just dreaming. I don't really expect anyone (Kodak or otherwise) to do anything about Kodachrome other than let it die a slow death. The real world hasn't given me much hope lately, so I just hang out in the lala world in my head!
    --------------------
    "Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it." -Paul Strand

www.glasskeyphoto.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MMfoto View Post
    I've had the distinct impression that there are differant recommendations for push processing Kodachrome 200 Pro and consumer versions. Maybe this language is soley to target proffesionals (more likely to push-process) for the promotion of the more expensive Pro version. My gut is that the supposed aging, better "Pro film" storage in stores, and shorter expiration date make for a less pronounced color shift when pushed and in general-for this magenta happy film.
    Kodak mentions on its web site that pro films are more pushable than consumer films.

PE

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I just read thru the Kodak processing steps for k-chrome, and boy howdy, there is a lot to go wrong. It also seems to me that the frequent photographer complaint of 'over-magenta' might be due to some slight development 'deviation', for it seems that the magenta processing step seems the most difficult. No matter, I've still got plenty of K200 and some K25 stashed in the freezer to shoot.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Kodak mentions on its web site that pro films are more pushable than consumer films.

PE
    If pro and consumer films responds differantly to push processing than wouldn't the two versions necessarily have at least slightly differant "normal" charactoristics?

BTW, I've only tried a couple of times, but I've never had much luck pushing "Select" Kodachrome 200, though I really like this film otherwise. Never tried the now extinct Pro version, too expensive, too late.

Shooter
    35mm
    Does Kodak publish production figures? I'd love to know just how many rolls of Kodachrome are actually sold each year.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MMfoto View Post
    If pro and consumer films responds differantly to push processing than wouldn't the two versions necessarily have at least slightly differant "normal" charactoristics?
    Yes, I listed some of them above.

PE

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin