Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,808   Posts: 1,581,506   Online: 1062

Page 1 of 13 123456711 ... LastLast

Thread: Kodachrome

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Kodachrome

A random Kodachrome post...

I was just reading about the loss of another Kodachrome processing location in Europe, the discontinuing of Super 8 and 16mm Kodachrome, etc. I do fear the end of Kodachrome, and I'm stuck in the middle on this one. I know that this is an example of use it or lose it, but I rarely use 35mm film--I do a roll or two of stereo slides every few months. My main wish will probably never happen--to have Kodachrome in medium and/or large format again. It would be nice if Kodak did a little "retro" line, small runs of films with cult status and what not (have you seen the prices of Technical Pan on eBay?!?!) but that doesn't seem too likely. I guess what I'm thinking would be that maybe they would license out the rights for some other company to make Kodachrome (under a different name, of course) but would anyone be able to process it? I know Dwayne's is the last bastion of hope, but are their machines set up for 35mm only? Since the Kodachrome base is a b&w film, it seems that someone like Ilford could make the film stock and then Kodak would be off the hook from the anger of droping Kodachrome. Obviously, I live in a bit of a dream world, but it works for me! I get frustrated by the fact that there are so many films and such that I will never get to use. Can you imagine an art student studying painting, trying to paint like the masters to learn techniques and having the choice of watercolor or Adobe Illustrator? That's how I feel sometimes. Weird little rant, forgive me. I just looked at some Kodachrome slides and was shooting with a Rolleiflex today. I want to merge the two, thus this post.

dmr
    Shooter
    35mm
    I know that Dwayne's can do 8mm Kodachrome movie film and maybe 16mm but not sure.

I don't think they do any MF/LF Kodachrome.

OBTW, I phoned Dwayne's about a month ago and they said there is no planned cut-off date for processing Kodachrome.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The demise of Kodachrome has been in the works for many more years than the current trend, then you throw in the process itself, that many states and countries won't allow anylonger and the lack of numbers of people that even know what it is let alone want to shoot it, the writing has been on the wall for a long time now as far as Kodachrome, I do imagine if you could put a group together that would purchase say.....about a million rolls a year, you might get someone to produce it again, I am not saying don't morn the loss of a film, but even in its heyday kodachrome was on the way out, newer processes, less enviormental concerns, easy films to work with, etc..and I am not a fan of all the newer E6 films, heck I shot kodachrome for a great number of years, but as photographers, we do have to adapt to the ever changing films that are being offered, lift a drink to the memory, and look for something that works for you now..

By the way, I see your New, welcome to the best traditional resource in the world.

Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Parker View Post
    The demise of Kodachrome has been in the works for many more years than the current trend, then you throw in the process itself, that many states and countries won't allow anylonger and the lack of numbers of people that even know what it is let alone want to shoot it, the writing has been on the wall for a long time now as far as Kodachrome, I do imagine if you could put a group together that would purchase say.....about a million rolls a year, you might get someone to produce it again, I am not saying don't morn the loss of a film, but even in its heyday kodachrome was on the way out, newer processes, less enviormental concerns, easy films to work with, etc..and I am not a fan of all the newer E6 films, heck I shot kodachrome for a great number of years, but as photographers, we do have to adapt to the ever changing films that are being offered, lift a drink to the memory, and look for something that works for you now..

By the way, I see your New, welcome to the best traditional resource in the world.

Dave
    Yeah...I know. But I have to dream sometimes! Thanks for the welcome. Hey, at least this post was about something produced in my lifetime...I also want to do Autochrome. A genuine lost cause, a photographic luddite of sorts...that's me!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I called Dwaynes and they can only do 35mm or smaller formats. 120 and 4x5 are out. There is no lab left that can do those sizes. But PhotoEngineer Ron said Kodak has in its basement a dip and dunk Kodachrome processor that can do sizes all the way up to 4x5. Problem is its not being used and I doubt Kodak would let it go. As for Super 8- as long as 35mm K14 hangs around you can still get Kodachrome Super 8 processed by Dwaynes.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Parker View Post
    ... heck I shot kodachrome for a great number of years, but as photographers, we do have to adapt to the ever changing films that are being offered, lift a drink to the memory, and look for something that works for you now..
    Here, here. I'm still trying to get over the demise of big V-8's and cheap high-octane gasoline. Some say "change is good; it's good to change", but I say "Change is never easy; it's never easy to change". Good daydreaming, tjaded... but please don't hold your breath!

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    Here, here. I'm still trying to get over the demise of big V-8's and cheap high-octane gasoline. Some say "change is good; it's good to change", but I say "Change is never easy; it's never easy to change". Good daydreaming, tjaded... but please don't hold your breath!
    I concur with Dave and Brian. I just shot out my last roll of Kodachrome. There as a time when I used it almost exclusively (substituting the "old" Ekatchrome only when I needed a faster slide film).

Last year I bought a few rolls of K-chrome for nostalgia sake and just finished them off with this year's Autunm colors. It was a symbolic raising of the glass and toasting a dear old, and now departed, friend.

Besides, I've got a bunch of rolls of the new Extra Color Ektachrome 100 to try out!

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Why does everyone keep treating Kodachrome as if it were extinct? It's still easy to find and as far as I know Kodak has not announced the end. They still list both 64 and 200 on the web http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQueri...q-locale=en_US. Keep shooting it and they will keep making it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by braxus View Post
    I called Dwaynes and they can only do 35mm or smaller formats. 120 and 4x5 are out. There is no lab left that can do those sizes. But PhotoEngineer Ron said Kodak has in its basement a dip and dunk Kodachrome processor that can do sizes all the way up to 4x5. Problem is its not being used and I doubt Kodak would let it go. As for Super 8- as long as 35mm K14 hangs around you can still get Kodachrome Super 8 processed by Dwaynes.

That 'machine' is not really a machine. It is a set of large tanks, common to all darkrooms at KRL, and a set of hangers on which Kodachrome could be processed. It is done by hand.

Anyone with the chemicals and the proper re-exposure system could run Kodachrome in sizes from 35mm - 8x10 if they wanted. The process runs nearly 2 hours.

It is even possible to use tricolor exposures on 3 sheets of B&W and then process them to give a set of "Kodachrome" separations that can be laminated together to give a single transparancy. This can be done in any size you wish.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by DBP View Post
    Why does everyone keep treating Kodachrome as if it were extinct? It's still easy to find and as far as I know Kodak has not announced the end. They still list both 64 and 200 on the web http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQueri...q-locale=en_US. Keep shooting it and they will keep making it.
    As far as I am concerned, when they discontinued ISO 25 Kodachrome, it was extinct, I did extensive testing with both 64 and 200 and I am sorry, I just never got the same results, when the 25 died, the music died!

I feel the same way about the Velvia 50, I don't like the 100 versions even close to the 50, that is why I stocked over 400 rolls of the 50 when I heard what was going on, even if the E6 processing goes away, I can easily do this in my sidekick processor..

But I am testing some others now...

LOL

:rolleyes:

Dave

Page 1 of 13 123456711 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin