Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,864   Posts: 1,583,199   Online: 830

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

A "sleeper" chrome film

I was just looking at some older 120 slides of mine and a few particular ones really jumped out at me, they all had one thing in common. They were all Agfa RSX II iso 50. That, to me, is one phenominal looking slide film! I wish I had bought up more when I had the chance. Anyone else like (or dislike) this film?
    --------------------
    "Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it." -Paul Strand

www.glasskeyphoto.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I love it too. I don't shoot very much slide, but that's my favorite. There are probably only about 5 rolls left in my fridge.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I found about 5 of them in a Halifax photo store last summer and bought them all. The color balance is very nice, that odd balance of neutral and deep colors.
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Just had too make me go and dig in the depth of the deep dark freezer didn't you! Well, if you really need to know,2-25 sheet boxes still sealed, 2-10 sheet boxes, 1 sealed 1 with 4 sheets left all in 4X5.
    I am saving it for a very special ocasion
    Douglas Westphal

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I just ordered 3 120 rolls to try out from a store in Canada-if they can still get it. I'm not sure what their stock is, but they still list it (it says "special order"). No 35mm though. I usually use Fuji or Kodak, but given the good comments on this film it would be neat to try a few rolls. What is its strength- as in what makes it a good film?
    Last edited by braxus; 10-27-2006 at 01:42 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Holy cow...if you actually get it, let me know where you got it from! I would kill for a few more rolls of 120. What I wouldn't do for some 4x5! Anyhoo....

The things that I like about it are kind of hard to single out. For one thing, the reds are like no other e-6 film that I've seen. Overall it has a very accurate color palate, but some still pop---does that make sense? In a weird way, it kind of reminds me of old Kodachrome, as in 1940's/1950's Kodachrome. Not exactly, but it has a certain something like Kodachrome. Maybe I'm just imagining it!
    --------------------
    "Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it." -Paul Strand

www.glasskeyphoto.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I checked the site again and I missed it before- but it says special order. So Im not keeping my hopes up getting any. I wonder if they have some warehouse with a stash of this stuff or not. Im going to call tomorrow to get more info. If they can still get some Im going to add a couple extra rolls and then I'll pass the info along to you if its still available.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I checked with the store today and she claims they may still be able to get some. I asked about 35mm as well and shes looking into it. I phoned just in the last hour and apparently my order went through. They couldn't say how much of this film the warehouse had, but they did say my order for 5 rolls was processed. I think its safe to say they would have enough stock for a larger order. The place I bought it from in Canada was Vistek. Here is the link:

http://www.vistek.ca/details/details...WebCode=100176

Vistek also list some of this in 8x10 format in boxes of 10 if anyone is interested. Though its not on their site, they can get RSX 50 in 35mm as well. You have to call to get Lisa from Web ordering to order it for you.

If you want another store that can has some 35mm stock- check:

http://www.leoscamera.com/

They have 14 rolls of 35mm left.
    Last edited by braxus; 10-27-2006 at 04:42 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I loved this film in 35mm; I can't recall if I tried it in 120. What was remarkable to me was that with it's neutral colour balance, the blues popped but were still "accurate", if that makes any sense. It wasn't the blue shift of the older Ektachromes at all, just rich. I don't remember the reds being the equal of K25, but maybe I'm just not remembering any of those originals.
    Honey, I promise no more searching eBay for cameras.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well...I just placed an order online for a brick (20 rolls) of 120. We shall see if it shows up! I should call and see how much they have in their warehouse. Bye bye money!
    --------------------

www.glasskeyphoto.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin