Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,202   Posts: 1,531,583   Online: 1108

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

colour alternative to neopan..?

I've been using film for the past 12mths or so and I love Neopan's contrast and sharpness, I've been using mostly ISO400.
    What would be the colour alternative...? I've been advised to try Kodak Supra/ Superia?? Any hints?
    www.detunephotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'll ask the question, will you be developing and printing colour negative yourself?

I myself do C41 and RA4 processing as well as for the last year, I have been shooting Neopan 400 almost exclusively for B&W.

Colour is really another quite different animal. You are seeing colour, instead of tones, as the basic building block in our brains.

If you are going to do your own developing and printing you should be able to see minor differences in colour film pallettes, whereas with commercial processing, especially minilabs, you will normally only see major differences.

I myself like and use Kodak's 160 normal contrast, mainly for two reasons. Firstly, it is available in bulk, therefore lowest possible shooting cost. Secondly, it gives a very realistic rendition of colour, compared to quite a few other films I have used, including Fuji Reala, which I have used extensively.

Another plus for Kodak colour film, is consistent colour from batch to batch.

This by the way is all 35mm film.

Mick.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    thanks for the reply Mick!
    I dont do any dev myself, not yet anyway.. actually just getting back into the whole film thing and yup, 35mm all the way with my EOS3.

160 was also suggested to me so hmmm... I'm really looking for something quite contrasty and really un saturated (is that English???) if possible...?

I really want to try some colour as I think i'm going mono :P
    www.detunephotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you find Neopan 400 contrasty, I think your lab is overdeveloping.

I shoot Fujifilm Pro 160S and 400H for low saturation color work, and they are nice fine grain film and it's very easy to get good scans from them.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin