Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,910   Posts: 1,584,669   Online: 855

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Xp2 super, Cross processing?

what should i rate this film at?
    What color will the slides be?
    Is this a good\easy way to get B&W slides?
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Marko,

What are you planning to cross process it in? E-6?

Dave

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Yes, Ill send it to a lab in Toronto.
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Links of relevance:
    http://www.apug.org/forums/forum37/22704-how-make-black-white-slides.html
    http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-...?msg_id=003UrC
    http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-...?msg_id=001cyF
    http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-...?msg_id=000Ppf

I should add that if you just want b/w slides, sending a regular b/w film to dr5 (www.dr5.com) is an option.

There is also reportedly a pretty good way to process color slide film that will yield good quality b/w slides.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    XP-2 does cross-process in E-6, though it yields slides of low-ish contrast and of an interesting greenish-black tone. You'll also probably be charged a bit extra for cross processing.

What I've done that works (with some experimenting) is the following:

Expose the film at either 200 or 400 (try both on the same roll).

Process the film in your Black and White developer of choice, treating it as Tri-X being pushed to EI 1600. (Whatever your specific developer reccomends as that time).

Then, WITHOUT fixing, wash the film as completely as possible (30-40mins in running water). You can then open the tank in room light, and expose the length of the film to the light for a minute or two. Dry the film in subdued light.

Roll it back into the canister once dry, and take it to wherever you do your normal C-41 processing.

The result should be a black and white positive, with a fairly good image of slightly high contrast. It'll take some experimenting, but it certianly works.

Shooter
    35mm
    Another possibility would be to send the film to a place that provides the option of slides from negatives, such as PhotoWorks or Dale Labs. Both of these outfits (and probably others) offer slides made from C-41 film negatives. These are slides made by copying negatives onto film that's similar (perhaps identical) to the stuff the Hollywood movie industry uses to create release "prints" (the films shown in movie theaters). As such, you lose a bit of quality in the slides compared to the original, but you'll have your original negatives for making prints using conventional methods. The film these outfits use is color film, so there might be some color cast in the resulting slides. I've never tried sending a chromogenic C-41 film to either outfit, so I don't know how well they handle this specific task. It's also been years since I ordered slides from either place. I used to do it fairly frequently with color film to help cut photofinishing costs, though. Depending on your reason for wanting B&W slides, you might want to investigate this option.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin