Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,860   Posts: 1,583,167   Online: 753

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format

Cheap C41 processing.

I usually shoot B&W and do my own processing but recently have been doing some color as well as occasional "fake B&W" AKA Ilford XP2. When taking the film to my local pro lab however I encounter sticker shock. What is the cheapest (but good quality) easily available way to process color and B&W C41 120 film?

While we're at it what about 35 mm film?

Thanks.

Sincerely,

Hany.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by haziz View Post
    I usually shoot B&W and do my own processing but recently have been doing some color as well as occasional "fake B&W" AKA Ilford XP2. When taking the film to my local pro lab however I encounter sticker shock. What is the cheapest (but good quality) easily available way to process color and B&W C41 120 film?

While we're at it what about 35 mm film?
    C-41 can be cheaply processed by a drug store or grocery store if they have "1 hour processing" at least for 35mm. I can get a roll of 24 with 1 set of 3"x5" prints of C-41 for about $3.80.

For 120, you may be better off using "pro film" and having the pro lab do a contact sheet after developing the film rather than prints - you then can determine which one or ones you wants prints of. That's what we do.
    B & D
    Rochester, NY
    ========================
    Quiquid Latine dictum sit altum viditur

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by haziz View Post
    . What is the cheapest (but good quality) easily available way to process color and B&W C41 120 film?

Do you mean to do it yourself? If you have the volume then doing it yourself is fairly cheap. OTOH if you're doing a roll here a roll there it'll get expensive.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Check around at the 1 hour places in your area, most machines that are capable of doing 35mm can also do 120...

What price are they trying to get for 120 C-41 processing? I am just curious, the most expensive lab in town here only charges $2.00 a roll for a process only, and it you want prints they are .29 cents a print, so I am curious to what it is costing in other areas of the country.

Dave

Shooter
    35mm
    First, a note: I shoot mostly 35mm and prior to doing my own developing, I shot nothing but 35mm (and 110 years ago as a child). Thus, my comments are geared towards that format. MF is almost certainly harder to get processed inexpensively.

I don't recall ever seeing a local store offer 1-hour processing of a 24-exposure roll of 35mm film with prints for as little as $3.80, except perhaps as a sale. More often around here it's on the order of $7 or so for a 24-exposure roll. Perhaps it's cheaper in Rochester than in the Boston-Providence area, or maybe Bromo33333 has just found the very cheapest local place and I haven't.

One way to cut costs can be to bypass the prints. Most of that ~$7 price is in prints. If you can get the clerk to hand you back nothing but the negative strip, you can then peruse (and perhaps scan, if you've got the equipment and are so inclined) the negatives and order prints only of the frames that interest you. You might be able to order negatives and a CD-R for less than negatives with prints.

Another way to cut costs is to go with non-1-hour photofinishing. Most drug stores and the like will send film out if you so request, and some don't have 1-hour machines and so must send film out. You'll get it back in a day or two, typically, and the cost may be a buck or two cheaper than having it done in a 1-hour lab. You may be able to order smaller (3.5x5-inch vs. 4x6-inch) prints this way, which can also save a bit of money if you want to get prints.

Another step along that path is to use a mail-order photofinisher. Some of these are quite expensive, but some are cheap. An outfit like Clark is in the latter category, at $3.18 per roll, including return shipping, for a 24-exposure roll with 3.5x5-inch prints or $3.29 per roll for 4x6-inch prints.

Yet another option is to do your own processing. You can get C-41 chemistry and do it in the same tank you use for B&W. It's really not much harder than B&W; the main problem is with temperature control, which requires the use of a water bath or some other means of keeping everything at 100 degrees F. Of course, once you've got the negatives you'll then want prints, which requires enlarging the negatives yourself, scanning them, or taking the negatives somewhere to have prints made.

With any of these, there's some truth to the saying "you get what you pay for." I haven't used Clark in years because their quality was iffy when I used them. Still, most of that is a question of the prints; negatives from such places are usually fine and will scan well or produce good prints if you do it yourself or have it done at a better outfit. Other cost-cutting measures give you less (no or smaller prints) and/or take more time.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by srs5694 View Post
    I don't recall ever seeing a local store offer 1-hour processing of a 24-exposure roll of 35mm film with prints for as little as $3.80, except perhaps as a sale. More often around here it's on the order of $7 or so for a 24-exposure roll. Perhaps it's cheaper in Rochester than in the Boston-Providence area, or maybe Bromo33333 has just found the very cheapest local place and I haven't.
    Oops, I didn't mean to say that the $3.80 was for 1 hour processing. The 1 hour processing kiosk at Wegman's will send in film for you (takes about 3-5 days) and it will cost appx. $3.80. The 1 hour processing is about what you said ($5-7). The Kodak Picture CD is more (I don't remember exactly the amount, but it is a few dollars)

If i use the local lab, I generally get developing service (B&W and E-6 are the most affordable) and get a contact sheet. From that I determine if a larger print needs to be made. You can also scan the negative, but that is kind of pricey.

One way to cut costs can be to bypass the prints. Most of that ~$7 price is in prints.
    Depends upon the cost structure. In a pro-lab this might be the case, but Wegman's, you are going to get prints no matter what.
    Last edited by Bromo33333; 11-05-2006 at 02:36 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    B & D
    Rochester, NY
    ========================
    Quiquid Latine dictum sit altum viditur

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Even Walmart does develop only here. Or at least they used to. Not my idea of quality. But they do it.

Shooter
    35mm
    Try Mpix. They will send you mailers and send you an email when the film is developed. Once you pay for the developing they mail the negatives back to you. They also post thumbnails of all of the shots. Its $3.95 24-exp, $5.95 36-exp. This includes the return shipping of the negatives.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Good
    Cheap
    Fast

Choice of two!

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Dear Hany,

Many (probably most) amateur labs stabilize, without a water wash. If negative archival importance is important, you may prefer a pro lab, dev only, with water wash.

Personally, I regard a few years as adequate for most colour neg.

Cheers,

R.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin