Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,890   Posts: 1,520,845   Online: 1159

Shooter
    Multi Format

Kodak Gold 100/ Bright Sun 100

I know some people have a hard time getting some of this film or ordering it for stores. If anyone is interested in ordering from Kodak Gold 100/ Bright Sun 100, the catalog number we used to place an order (which is now confirmed and in stock as of today) is Cat #: 603-3922. This is the card style single box which is used to be hung. It seems Gold 100/Bright Sun 100 has numerous catalog numbers of which most are discontinued. The number I gave above is current and available.

This is one of my favorite films. I was sorting through my old negatives from the 80s to 90s. In most cases I used Kodaks 100 speed neg film. A timetable I came up with is that it started after CP 100 5094 which was Kodacolor VR film. Then in 1986 it went to VR-G CA 100 5095. Then in late 80s (1988?)it went to Gold 100-2 5095. I dont think there ever was a Gold 100-1 as VR-G was probably it. To me the G in VR stands for Gold anyways and the two films (VR-G and Gold 100) seem very similar. Both films are listed as 5095 which to me tells me it was just a name change with an update on the same emulsion. Then in around 1992 it went to Gold 100-3, 1994 Gold 100-4, 1996 Gold 100-5. I'm not sure exactly when it went to version 6, which is the current version today, but I think it was around 1998. There seems to be a drastic change from 5094 CP 100 to 5095 CA 100. I'm assuming it became GA 100 in version 2 when it was called Gold 100 instead of VR-G, but I cannot confirm this.

As its been mentioned it seems Gold 100's days may be numbered as its becoming hard to find in stores. Wal-Mart here finally stopped carrying it a year ago, though I've asked them to bring some more in for me, and only two or so stores here still have it. Be sad to see this one go as it produces excellent color and skin tones. It scans well too. Anyone else like using this film? It's grainy for its speed, but it is also sharp with great color and I would love if it were available in 120 again in the current version. It would make a great pro film if they could bring the grain down to PGI numbers in the 30s.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I used Gold 100 pretty much exclusively for months, and my local photo lab has a shelf of it in 3 packs, I should get some more one of these days, though it's still quite common in my area. I mostly use Fuji and Ilford these days, but Gold 100 has a special place in my heart as I managed to take my first half decent shots with it.
    The Analogue Laboratory, or 'so you built a darkroom in an old factory in the industrial zone'.
    Blog thing!.

Worry less. Photograph more.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I like and have used the Gold 100 35mm film for many years, I am sorry to see it go. The 100 rateing worked well for me and the flesh tones were hard to beat. Well I guess "nothing lives long but the mountains".

Charlie...............................

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Webb View Post
    I am sorry to see it go. Charlie...............................

Kodak hasn't pulled the plug on this film yet. Its still available, though not selling as well these days.

Shooter
    35mm
    I was under the impression the newest gold 100 is just a dyed down gold 200

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Dyed down 200? Their is a noticable quality difference between the 100 and 200 speed Gold films. Gold 100 seems to have more saturation and better color. Plus the grain is smaller (for Gold films that is). Its also quite sharp.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Julie1.jpg   Julie3.jpg  
    Last edited by braxus; 11-10-2006 at 10:24 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    In the UK Kodak haven't listed Gold 100 for some time though sometimes you see it listed by online dealers. The problem here is that most of the year the weather is so dull that for general purpose photograhy 200 & 400 speed films are much more suitable.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    You can still get Gold 100 from Clark Color.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin