Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,276   Posts: 1,534,752   Online: 928

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

refridgerating film backs

hi guys. i am new to professional colour slide film and all the obsessive compulsiveness associated therein . but i want to learn! i've shot half a roll of velvia 100 (120 size) and won't shoot the rest for a few days. should i put the entire film back (with the film in it) into the fridge until then? i thought i could put it in a ziplock to minimize condensation. or is this a BAD idea? i've tried searching here and elsewhere but couldn't find anything about putting a film back with film in it into the fridge. thanks for your responses.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Bad idea. The film will keep well for a few weeks, just don't leave it on top of a radiator or stovetop.
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    As glbeas says...a bad idea.

In fact a very bad idea.

Film is not organic meat or something like that!

It doesn't go bad if it sits at room temperature through it's stated shelf life, and well beyond. And if you just pulled it out of the fridge to shoot - putting it back into the fridge in the filmback will likely cause any ambient humidity to condense and really mess things up!

Use it as quickly as you can (without wasting shots just to "kill the roll") - but don't worry if it just sits around for a while. The film is tougher than you!

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    No - another example of "obsessive compulsiveness" not working for you.

Shooter
    35mm
    thanks everyone to setting me straight

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, this reminds me of something I've been meaning to ask about. How about vacuum sealing loaded holders? I've thought that this would be mainly good for minimizing dust-migration into loaded holders on long trips but how about refridgeration if vacuum sealed?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Even vacuum sealed you may have enough residual moisture in the air left to create condensation. If you find it's really necessary to do this put a silica gel pack in with the holder and let it do it's work for an hour or so before refrigerating. Don't bother taking the gel pack out before cooling either. I'd still say you'll be taking your chances at that.
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ok, if I vacuum pack for dusty environs, I'll forgo the fridge.

I don't know what you all are talking about. In a ziplock bag, assuming you provide proper time for heating up and coolling down and don't try and shoot it immediately upon removing it from the fridge, you should be just fine. I stored some unfinished rolls of 220 in a fridge for a while before finishing and then processing immediately thereafter. No adverse effects were encountered.

Regards,

~Karl Borowski

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FilmIs4Ever View Post
    I don't know what you all are talking about. In a ziplock bag, assuming you provide proper time for heating up and coolling down and don't try and shoot it immediately upon removing it from the fridge, you should be just fine. I stored some unfinished rolls of 220 in a fridge for a while before finishing and then processing immediately thereafter. No adverse effects were encountered.

Regards,

~Karl Borowski
    There's nothing wrong with putting film in the fridge, the question is about putting loaded film backs in the fridge. The problem is condensation on the metal of the back resulting in subsequent rust.

Cheers, Bob.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin