Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,269   Posts: 1,534,422   Online: 952

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: E6 Processing

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Landry View Post
    Where are you getting the Fuji chemistry if you don't mind me asking? I use the Kodak 5L kit with great results, but it would be nice to have another option just in case Kodak......
    The rumor I'm getting is that within the next year or so Kodak IS going to......

Besides, I only shoot Fuji slides and trannies anyway, and almost everyone I've talked to has said that the Fuji/Hunt chemistry produces better results with these films.

I went down to the local lab where I get my C-41 stuff done (they have a Fuji Frontier machine) and asked the manager if he would mind tacking some E-6 chems onto his regular chemistry orders and then reselling them to me. He said "No problem." I then asked for the name and number of the Fuji rep he deals with so that I could discuss my chemistry needs with him. Again, "No problem." Of course he will tack a fee onto the chems he'll be selling me, but that's only fair. It certainly won't be as much as the shipping would cost if I could even find somewhere to order the stuff on my own. I called the Fuji rep and he was most helpful, spending over an hour talking to me about how to get the best results with the setup I'm putting together. My 35mm automatic slide mounting machine will arrive next Tuesday and I've made a deal for a countertop automatic E-6 processor that will do 35mm, 120 and 4x5 and supposedly produces excellent, consistent results. It has the bonus of also being able to handle C-41 and whatever B&W processes I care to have programmed for it. My E-6 independence is looming on the near horizon.

The route I took to secure my Fuji/Hunt E-6 chems should be doable just about anywhere there's a local Fontier operator, especially if you're already taking them your color neg film. Just a thought.

Bruce

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceN View Post
    The rumor I'm getting is that within the next year or so Kodak IS going to......
    Well Kodak DID already sell its chemical plant, and has stopped making all their chemicals themself, however they are still having the chemicals made by the company that purchased the plant, and will continue to offer them under the Kodak name. The new owners...Champion or some name, can't quite remember, said they hoped to reintroduce items that Kodak had discontinued, as well as carry forward with the current line up. I know I can still order Kodak brand E-6 chems just fine.

Shooter
    Multi Format

I went down to the local lab where I get my C-41 stuff done (they have a Fuji Frontier machine) and asked the manager if he would mind tacking some E-6 chems onto his regular chemistry orders and then reselling them to me. He said "No problem." I then asked for the name and number of the Fuji rep he deals with so that I could discuss my chemistry needs with him. Again, "No problem." Of course he will tack a fee onto the chems he'll be selling me, but that's only fair. It certainly won't be as much as the shipping would cost if I could even find somewhere to order the stuff on my own. I called the Fuji rep and he was most helpful, spending over an hour talking to me about how to get the best results with the setup I'm putting together.

The route I took to secure my Fuji/Hunt E-6 chems should be doable just about anywhere there's a local Fontier operator, especially if you're already taking them your color neg film. Just a thought.

Bruce
    Bruce, thanks for the idea, I will seek out a few of the local labs to see what they say. Any idea what sizes you can get? Are the Fuji chems in a kit or do seperate components? Thanks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi Rob, you're quite welcome. It comes as separate components that mostly come in the 10 liter (after mixing) size. It is a bit more of a pain to use than the Kodak 5 liter kits, not only because you have to buy twice as much, but because it is designed around replenishment. To use it as a 'one shot,' as I will be, you also need the 'starter' chemical for the first developer, color developer and bleach. This isn't as bad as it sounds, though, because only a tiny amount of the starters are required for each batch and the concentrates have a good shelf life (3 years unopened and 6 months to a year opened). Using a small bottle of nitrogen to evacuate any oxygen from the air space in your opened bottles will extend the shelf life of your concentrated chems dramatically. Good luck!

Bruce

PS - PM me your email address and I'll send you the data sheets.
    Last edited by BruceN; 01-08-2007 at 12:27 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: PS

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Bruce, great info, thanks again. While I'll probably continue to use the Kodak 5L kit as long as it's available, it's nice to know there's a back-up solution in case Kodak decides to discontinue it. Of course, now that Champion has taken over production, I'm more optimistic. Anyway, the Fuji chems were always something I wondered about, but there just hasn't been much info about them out there. I've sent you my e-mail address if you don't mind sending the tech pubs.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The data sheets are on the way Rob. I just had a couple of guys bail on me yesterday, so my E-6 volume is going to be a lot lower than I thought for quite a while. Now it looks like the Kodak 5 liter kits are going to be my best option as well. At least for the immediate future. Hopefully they will be available for a long time and the quality will be consistent under the new company.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Guys;

I feel like I'm hijacking a thread but here is my problem. Slap me down if this is an inappropriate place. Also, I've told a few of you this dilemma.

Grant Haist entrusted me with the photos from his last National Geographic effort before his stroke. It was to retrace Ansel Adams through the Grand Tetons with modern Ektachrome.

The trouble is this. He froze the exposed film, then became ill and they have remained frozen and unprocessed for all these years (about 10 now).

So, I have probably 100 or so sheets of film that should take some tender loving care in processing and should go to a good sheet film processing facility. Among other things, the cost of processing, the condition of the film and the age of the images make me hesitate as does the magnitude of the responsibility and size of the job.

Here in Rochester, Kodak has closed down its E6 line totally and only runs a check process for production when needed. The local labs are down to one as well, and I know nothing about them. I have searched out a few labs, but the price is daunting and there may be problems with the film.

I rarely do E6 and right now I'm set up to make and test emulsions. It would take a bit of effort to change over and would interrupt my emulsion work drastically.

Any suggestions?

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Wow, that's a tough one! I would suggest sending PM's to naturephoto1 and roteague, as they shoot a fair amount of 4x5 E-6 and are obviously getting quality processing done. The challenges I've had here are what has prompted me to look into doing it myself, but I'm nowhere near being able to confidently handle a project of that magnitude and importance. Good luck!

Bruce

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Landry View Post
    Where are you getting the Fuji chemistry if you don't mind me asking?
    I've never bought Fuji chemistry from them, but Unique Photo seems to carry a lot of it. Unfortunately, their Web site is poorly designed, so it may be hard to locate what you need there. You might want to try calling them on the phone instead. Others have told me that their salespeople are knowledgeable and helpful, although I've never placed an order with them by phone myself.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The data sheets are on the way Rob. I just had a couple of guys bail on me yesterday, so my E-6 volume is going to be a lot lower than I thought for quite a while. Now it looks like the Kodak 5 liter kits are going to be my best option as well. At least for the immediate future. Hopefully they will be available for a long time and the quality will be consistent under the new company.
    I received the data sheets no problem, thanks again. That's too bad about your E6 volume but I think you'll be pleased with the Kodak 5L kit. Quality's great and it's easy to mix and use. Myself, I mix up the entire kit the first time I process and then freeze the woking solutions in plastic 500ml and 1L sized bottles in my deepfreeze. This eliminates the need to get out my graduates each time I want to develop film and the hassle of trying to eliminate all the air fom the remaining concentrates.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin