Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,205   Posts: 1,531,746   Online: 916

Photocolour 11 C41 process instructions.

I have lost the processing instructions that were attached to the 1 litre concentrate container.
    Can anyone point to where I could download a copy of the instructions?
    I have tried the Paterson site and have googled for them without success.
    I guess I could possibly get another litre if it is still in stock anywhere and use the instructions from that but time is of the essence.
    Help please
    Cheers
    Jeff

Shooter
    35mm
    Jeff. I have kept an old container. Key parts are: recommended dev time is 3mins 15 secs at 38C, followed by 30 secs stop bath or water rinses and six min bleach fix( at any temp between 32C and 40C). A five mins wash in running water or repeated changes at about the same temp as the bleach/fix completes the process.

Interestingly the table on the opposite page says a 4 min bleach/fix and a six min wash. There is a solution capacity table on the next page with times for up to 3 films using the same dev and bleach/fix which extends to 3 mins 25 secs and then 3mins 35 secs for films 2 and 3 resepectively. The bleach/fix goes to 5 mins and 6 mins respectively.

Again interestingly, the process described is hand inversion agitation NOT rotary but it sticks to 3 mins 15 secs. I always understood this to be the std rotary processing time for C41 so would have expected addtional time for intermittent hand agitation. However I only spotted this after rotary processing for 3 mins 15 secs. The film looked fine and printed OK. I am still not sure if this increased density. I suspect it did to a little extent but not significantly. However I wouldn't go over 3 mins 15 secs if rotary processing.

There isn't a lot more to the instructions but PM me if you need anything else about hand intermittent processing.

pentaxuser

Brilliant.
    Thanks for the info.
    One last point. Does the table give dev. times for 36, 37, 39 and 40 degrees?
    I know I should stick rigidly to 38 but sometimes errors occur.
    Once again thanks for your quick and full reply.
    Cheers
    Jeff

Shooter
    35mm
    Jeff. Yes These are: 36 = 4 mins: 37 = 3mins 35 secs: 39 = 2 mins 55 secs and 40 = 2 mins 40 secs. Chart goes down to 32 degrees. In all cases it suggests a dry preheat of 5 mins at the dev temp. i.e. film in empty tank for 5 mins in a water bath.There has been info on this in other threads. However as far as I recall it, using a full tank of water at dev temp and in a water bath is in endorsed by a number of experienced colour processors such as PE and others.

If I have got this wrong then no doubt the subscribers will correct me. I have used both and probably in the early days used neither. In all cases the films came out OK but given that getting the film to proper temp is important then a full tank of water at the right temp is more reliable.

The wet preheat process didn't seem to have any adverse consequences.

Best of luck

pentaxuser

Again thanks for the info.
    I perheat for 5 minutes with but with a plastic tank it does not seem long enough. It seems to be an excellent insulator. The water bath I use, powered by two heating tubes from a redundant Nova 10" x 8" processor, is heated to 40c but the temp. drop when I put the dev. in the tank is not predictable so hence the slight temp. variations of dev temp in the tank. I had in my mind that there was a potential problem with presoaks of C41 films but if the Gurus say it's OK then I'll do it in which case temp control will be even easier.
    I did an XP2 last night using 5 seconds rotation each 30 seconds an it seems OK.
    Cheers
    Jeff

Shooter
    35mm
    Jeff There's a thread next to yours about pre-soak which, while it is B&W, has pertinence to yours. It looks as if PE is confirming there that a pre-soak as opposed to a dry pre-heat is what he uses for colour. The big plus is that this has to be a more reliable way of getting the film temp up to dev temp.

PE's method is perhaps the most exacting( but not difficult) of those mentioned as befits a photo engineer. He seems to rely on 2 x 1 min soaks so it hardly extends the total process time to a great extent.

pentaxuser

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin