Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,774   Posts: 1,516,634   Online: 1102

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 110 film

Shooter
    35mm

110 Film

A few labs still have the equipment to make optical prints from 110 negatives. Most flatbed scanners would have barely enough resolution for you to make a 4X5" print from a 110 size negative. There are probably very few dedicated film scanners which have hilders for 110 negatives. If you can find someone who has a dedicated 35mm scanner it might be possible to sandwich two strips at a time in a 35mm size mylar or polypropylene sleeve. Once you have the scans you can make the prints at a drug store kiosk less expensively.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    All that is left new is consumer color neg. B and H has Kodak 400. I believe you can still get Fuji 200 at a few places. There is a guy who runs a site I came across several years ago who has stockpiled and frozen a ton of the Fuji Superia 200. http://www.frugalphotographer.com/cat110.htm

It is a great film, although slower than some might want. There is also plenty of Ferrania, which is mostly repackaged as Wal-Mart, K-Mart, and whatever other store's brand. It is also available from that link above.

What most people do for their Pentax Auto 110s (and other such cameras) is buy a handful of rolls of whatever they can new, shoot what is there, and then save and reload the cassettes with their emulsions of choice. Hopefully you get cassettes that have the film-speed tab, so you can choose to leave it in place for high-speed films or remove it for low-speed films. If you get unlucky and get a 400 film with no tab, you have to rig a way to keep the lever inside the camera depressed, or you overexpose by two stops.

You can reload the cassettes with any cut down 120/220/70mm film, cut down 35mm non-perforated film, or just load it straight with 16mm movie film and incorporate the sprocket holes into the shooting. Some people like the sprocket holes, this is a very cheap way to get film, and it gives you some interesting emulsions to choose from without having to cut them down. Processing is an issue, though. You have to talk a movie film processing lab into running your little strips of film through their ECN or b/w reversal processes. You can get it with one row of holes or two.

Personally, I have just used 120 the couple of times I have shot black and white in my Auto 110. I developed ghetto style: in pitch darkness, running the film back and forth through a tray. I have seen some 110 reels for sale on EBay every now and then. That would be something worth looking into if you think you will load and process your own.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

jun

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Just for your information:
    Note that Fuji has just recently (May 7) announced that they are going to discontinue making 110 negative color films (Fuji Color SUPER G100 12EX, 24EX) in Japan.
    Fuji says that the sales of these 110 films are getting too low to maintain manufacturing.
    According to their announcement, there last shipment of 110 films to the market are estimated on September 2009.
    I don’t know the situation for the Fuji Film products sold in other countries, but I personally think that the possibility for Fuji to continue making 110 films for countries other than Japan are slim.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    I have seen some 110 reels for sale on EBay every now and then. That would be something worth looking into if you think you will load and process your own.
    For stainless steel reels, you'd need a dedicated 110 reel. Some plastic reels can be adjusted down to 110/16mm size, but not all can. I'm pretty sure that my Paterson and AP reels only go down to 35mm, but I've got an odd Russian tank with reels that can be adjusted down to 110/16mm size (although I've never developed 110 or 16mm film in it). I don't know offhand if any such reels are still being made.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't think they are still made, but I know they were at one time. I have seen stainless steel Nikkor-style ones, and fixed-width plastic ones on EBAY. Also, one of my friends told me that his new adjustable reel goes down to 110 size, but I am almost sure he is mistaken, and it's actually 127 that it goes down to.

If really necessary, you can have a machinist/welder cut and splice a Nikkor 120 reel. In fact, I was just given a bunch of 120 reels that I do not need, so I might give it a shot. I used to be able to weld stainless (in a damaged reactor compartment no less), but I don't have any of the equipment personally.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 05-12-2008 at 09:23 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Walgreens in the USA has it. Also Dwayne's in Kansas does good processing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Does anyone know where I can buy some 110 size neg sleeves?
    At the moment all my 110 is in 35mm sleeves but I'd like the correct size if possible.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    "There are probably very few dedicated film scanners which have hilders for 110 negatives."

...but there are 110 slide mounts that will fit perfectly into the slide carriers for flatbed scanners.

As for neg. sleeves, aside from checking the Printfile catalog, I wouldn't know what to suggest.

You could mount each frame in the aforementioned slide carriers and use sleeves made for slides.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 05-12-2008 at 09:55 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There is a guy out in
    Calgary, Alberta who supplies 110. I believe that
    he and a group bought an abandoned film factory
    and put it back into production:

http://frugalphotographer.com/

/Clay
    Last edited by Clay2; 05-14-2008 at 04:58 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Had another link with no 110 anymore

Shooter
    Multi Format
    hi clay2

solaris film is made by an italian company called ferrania

its sold by frugalphotographer, and also sold by photoimpex, and retrophotographics in england.

http://www.retrophotographic.com/solaris.htm

- john
    if my apug gallery looks empty you might check these places

website
    blog
    sell-site

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin