Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,542   Posts: 1,544,396   Online: 999

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Starting with Ektacolor 30 paper in about 1970, that problem was totally eliminated. It was very much reduced with Ektacolor 20, the predecessor formulation.

PE

RPC

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by pentaxuser View Post
    So just to obtain clarification Ektacolor 78 does refer to its year of manufacture. It is a late 1970s paper and if so is likely to be useless?

Thanks

pentaxuser
    When I started printing color in 1984 Ektacolor 74 and 78 were two of the available papers for home printing. Then it seems sometime in the next year or so they were replaced by Ektacolor Professional and Plus, respectively. So the latest possible date of manufacture for your paper would be the mid 80s. This paper used Ektaprint 2 so you could not succesfully process it today in RA-4.

RPC

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just for those interested, you can tinker around and get RA4 developer to be similar to EP3 developer! Of course, paper keeping with the older EP2 and 3 developers will be the problem. EP2 and EP3 were virtually identical.

PE

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by RPC View Post
    When I started printing color in 1984 Ektacolor 74 and 78 were two of the available papers for home printing. Then it seems sometime in the next year or so they were replaced by Ektacolor Professional and Plus, respectively. So the latest possible date of manufacture for your paper would be the mid 80s. This paper used Ektaprint 2 so you could not succesfully process it today in RA-4.

RPC
    Thanks for that. It was what I suspected but nice to know that in deciding against getting the paper I was offered, it was not a decision I'd regret.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    35mm
    Just an additional point of information. Quite by chance I came across a ref to Ektacolor 78 in the 1982 Carson Graves book called the Zone System for 35mm Photographers which I re-read a day or so ago. There is a small section on colour at the end where he says: "Kodak also make a color printing paper designed to increase the contrast of a color negative. The paper's designation is Ektacolor Type 78 and it is a substitute for the normal contrast "Ektacolor 74"

Sim it seems to have been a higher contrast paper.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My exact list of color paper types, content and purpose ends in April of 1978. I have more data after that, but it is quite inaccurate having to rely only on my memory, and not on exact notes.

PE

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin