Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,940   Posts: 1,585,667   Online: 973

Page 1 of 10 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: KODACHROME

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

KODACHROME

Does anyone have any information regarding the number of rolls of Kodachrome that get processed either daily/weekly/monthly or annually? I suppose I could call Dwayne's, but I don't know if they would be comfortable sharing such info...

Thanks in advance,
    Matt
    --------------------
    "Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it." -Paul Strand

www.glasskeyphoto.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tjaded View Post
    Does anyone have any information regarding the number of rolls of Kodachrome that get processed either daily/weekly/monthly or annually? I suppose I could call Dwayne's, but I don't know if they would be comfortable sharing such info...

Thanks in advance,
    Matt
    Why wouldn't they be comfortable?

They're just about the only ones doing so - so only they would know.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You can send them an email, they've been very helpful with my questions.
    The Analogue Laboratory, or 'so you built a darkroom in an old factory in the industrial zone'.
    Blog thing!.

Worry less. Photograph more.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I can't find the page any more, but sure I saw a article around the time the Lausanne lab closed which gave a volume of around 1500 rolls daily of existing business plus another 1000/day from Europe.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Stan160 View Post
    I can't find the page any more, but sure I saw a article around the time the Lausanne lab closed which gave a volume of around 1500 rolls daily of existing business plus another 1000/day from Europe.

Ian
    That works out to about 650,000 rolls per year (assuming 5 processing days a week). Still looks like Kodachrome is alive and kicking.
    "The secret to life is to keep your mind full and your bowels empty. Unfortunately, the converse is true for most people."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I called them and they said 35mm still photo is 1000 rolls per day. I didn't ask about movie film. The lab I work in used to be one of the authorized Kodachrome labs up until the mid 1990's, but it seems the big yellow made it too difficult to keep it. Too bad. I would love to be involved in keeping Kodachrome going (besides shooting it, I mean...) I've said it before and I'll say it again...if Kodachrome was available in 120 or 4x5, I would probably never shoot anything else!
    --------------------
    "Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it." -Paul Strand

www.glasskeyphoto.com

Shooter
    35mm
    I am new to slides... what kind e-6 slides film have the kodachrome look? maybe it is a stupid question....

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dxphoto View Post
    I am new to slides... what kind e-6 slides film have the kodachrome look? maybe it is a stupid question....
    Kodachrome 64* is (was?) famous for "its nice bright colors" as Paul Simon famously said.

More particularly, it really "wows" the reds and yellows; less so the blues and greens.

Fuji Velvia 50 is better on the blues and greens - but I find it does nice reds too - if not to the "wow" level. The older version of Velvia 50 has been discontinued - but a new formulation is supposed to be released soon (May 2007).

There is also Velvia 100 - which I've only used a few times but seems quite good.

YMMV and I'm sure others here will have alternative opinions.

* I think I might have once shot a roll of Kodachrome 25 - it is a "legendary" film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Kodachrome has a unique way of rendering red, something I've never been able to match in an E6 film. I shoot lots of trains and Canadian Pacific is my favourite railroad, and their locomotives are red. I can tell at a glance if the film is Kodachrome or not, just by the way it renders that particular red.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I just got back 40 rolls today. About 10 rolls of 200, one roll of 25 and the rest 64, it looks incredible with Leica aspheric lenses.
    "I'm the freak that shoots film. God bless the freaks!" ~ Mainecoonmaniac ~

Page 1 of 10 1234567 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin