Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,920   Posts: 1,522,070   Online: 798

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    As indicated there are other ways to produce a random mosaic. Why not try the Agfa approach? With modern equipment this could be a project worthwhile.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mhv View Post
    How about color photography from the 19th century?
    Now everyone will know I can't spell scoptopcitsdfsdidic. :-(

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I seem to remember the first colour images, using a process based on dyed potato starch, were made in Edinburgh at the end of the 19th century. Quite why anyone felt the need to invent colour photography in that rather wet and grey city is another matter :-)

David

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Let's not forget that there were color photos made with "one-shot" cameras that took three b/w negatives at once, behind beamsplitter mirrors/color filters to achieve a b/w separation negative set of an original color scene. These were used extensively in advertising color photography in the 1920's and possibly before. National Geographic published Autochrome color images long before the 1920's.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    About the time that the fine folks at Wratten distributed reliable panchromatic plates (early 20th c.) there were people already involved in making three-color carbon prints based on color separation negatives. It was an involved process, but it gave many good results (cue in the name of that Russian photographer we always mention but whose name I presently forget).

Technicolor is a more well-known example of this method.

If you read the Ctein article I linked to, you'll realize that Maxwell's color photo is actually an accident, because panchromatic sensitization did not exist yet.
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    mhv,

There were several techniques used in cinematography which were called Technicolor. The last and most famous one is an imbibition process. The carbo (or in this case rather a dyed wash-off-relief) process was employed in the second type of Technicolor processes.
    Last edited by AgX; 06-06-2007 at 06:04 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The first Technicolor, the 2 color process, was a technical nightmare that resulted in a film print that was a composite of two separate prints. I have only handled one such cemented print and it was in the final throes of decomposition.

A fascinating, but highly convoluted process...

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by mhv View Post
    If you read the Ctein article I linked to, you'll realize that Maxwell's color photo is actually an accident, because panchromatic sensitization did not exist yet.
    Great story, isn't it? As I recall, Brian Coe was the first to explain it (though I may be misremembering and he was the first place I read it). Coincidental RGB peaks in blue and two different wavelengths of UV.

Cheers,

R.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Kino,

There was a first additive (though 2-colour) Technicolor process of 1916/17 based on two seperate films (which images were projected upon each other) before that bi-pack process.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    Kino,

There was a first additive (though 2-colour) Technicolor process of 1916/17 based on two seperate films (which images were projected upon each other) before that bi-pack process.
    Interesting. Sounds like a variation of Kinemacolor, although Kinemacolor predated it by several years.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin