Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,821   Posts: 1,581,769   Online: 1048

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm another huge fan of the Kodak Portra films. NC is great for portraits, beautiful tonal range with that one. I've used ultra colour for portraits too, and they always pop.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I don't know about transparency film but for negative use Fuji pro portrait for contrasty light. But, if the light is flat, then the punch of consumer film will please the eye more, especially if you wish to sell or even give friends prints. Pro print film is often designed to allow Black to white detail (e.g. weddings dresses and Morning coats) in high contrast light. In low contrast light, like cloudy Great Britain and often in Japan, Pro fuji film can look horribly flat and muddy. Kodak, I think, offer some ultra emulsions in their pro range which address this problem but Fuji consumer film is cheap.
    BTW I read in Chasseur d'image a very good french magazine that most French pros use Fuji sensia film (old pre digital days here) rather than Provia or Astia for normal work because, the shot is more important than the film. You don't want to worry about film costs, Digi users don't.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    Another vote for Astia, but it's not available in 120mm. As far as I'm aware no film is. Fuji does sell Astia in 120 though; that's about 60mm wide.
    Oh, dear. I'm like the guy in Monty Python that always says numbers multiplied by two. Other than that, I'm perfectly all right.

Thank you all for the comments. I will have a look at those films.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Harris View Post
    BTW I read in Chasseur d'image a very good french magazine that most French pros use Fuji sensia film (old pre digital days here) rather than Provia or Astia for normal work.
    If I'm not mistaken Astia and Sensia are the same thing, just marketed differently. In 35mm Sensia is less expensive, as it's marketed to consumers.
    Paul

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Astia wins for me as far as tranparency film goes for people. Use a bounced flash indoors. It pushes one stop just fine maybe even two if its natural light stuff. The nice print stuff in any of the pro portrait films. Fuji or Kodak, they are all really nice and not contrasty at all. They are a bit muted in color though next to Astia. I like the punch of chrome but the print film is nice too. Any of those and you can't go wrong.

Hope it helps.

D.
    My Photography Site www.lofgreenimages.com and My Blog

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I haven't seen Astia in Korea so that's not an option for me, unfortunately.

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Astia and Sensia are definitely not the same thing. I shot Sensia for many years when on staff for a music magazine back in the '90s, and I remember well the difference between Astia & Sensia when the former came out. Sensia is a great film for people-shooting since it nails the skin tones so well. Definitely not as punchy as Valvia, but then again, it's not supposed to be.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Fuji 400 NPH is pretty nice, I think. Nice neutral color.
    - Thomas
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I think silverhead has just confirmed what Chasseur d'image said. Sensia is a good all rounder but Provia, Astia and Velvia are better suited to their relative strengths. I love Provia but shoot negative film most of the time.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I use NC myself. The prints films are much preferable in contrasty lighting especially during mid day and you have the better exposure range.
    W.A. Crider

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin