Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,560   Posts: 1,545,260   Online: 820

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

120mm Colour Film for People Photographs

I am going to Australia next month and I'm going to bring Ilford Delta 100 for black and white shots and Fuji Velvia 100 for landscapes and general colour photography. I'm going to be travelling with friends so I will want to take some pictures of them as we travel. Can someone recommend a colour film that will give good skin tones? Please suggest a couple of films because product availability in Korea might be different than in your country.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Why not use the Velvia for your people shots ?

If you want to use colour negative film then Fuji's 160S is superb, and readily available in Korea or Australia.

Ian
    Last edited by Ian Grant; 06-24-2007 at 05:32 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: typo

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    For skin tones I like Fuji Astia for transparencies, Kodak Portra 160NC for negs.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb View Post
    For skin tones I like Fuji Astia for transparencies, Kodak Portra 160NC for negs.
    David spoke my mind exactly. Be careful with Astia in mixed lighting though. I've gotten some pretty weird results. Can ANY film handle flash and fluorescent lighting other than B&W?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    Why not use the Velvia for your people shots ?
    Thanks for the suggestions. I've read that Fuji Velvia tends to give people reddish faces. Perhaps I should look at the Fuji website for some example pictures.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I agree with David that Kodak Portra 160NC is great, it is primarily what I use. I have had good results as well, however, from Fuji 160S. I don't use transparency film for people pictures, so no advice there except to say that you are likely to get better skin tones and a more natural look from a lower contrast film such as Astia.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Another vote for Astia, but it's not available in 120mm. As far as I'm aware no film is. Fuji does sell Astia in 120 though; that's about 60mm wide.

First on-line images I've seen from new ISO 50 "Velvia II" indicate it might not be as horrible for people as the original was. No Fuji Web sites yet seem to have any technical data or product brochures posted yet though.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    At least for outdoor shots Astia 100F is just gorgeous for people shots. It even looks pretty good for some scenery shots under lighting that would be too harsh for Velvia.

For print film I've really fallen for Kodak Portra 400VC. It is not nearly as saturated as the saturated slide films, but I find it gives a bit more life to the colors than the NC version.
    Paul

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Kodak Portas NC [Normal Color] and VC [Vivid Color] are good for portraits. Kodak UC [Ultra Color] can be used for portraits, but I would never use it for a wedding.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Personally I like the Kodak Portra films, whether is the 160 or the 400NC it works very well with pastel colors... and of course you still have some f-stop correction in the print in case you have misread it with your meter, unlike the chrome film sisters there is no room for mistakes ...
    "If your pictures aren't good enough, you aren't close enough." (Robert Capa)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin