Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,514   Posts: 1,543,636   Online: 1166

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Pack of 5 160NC for £6.50 - fresh stock

In case anyone is interested I went into Calumet in Birmingham last week to buy some colour negative film for a wedding on Saturday.

I asked to confirm the prices on the Fuji 160S and then, out of interest, I asked the price of the Portra 160NC (normally this is about £5 more per pack of 5 35mm)

The price: £6.50, including VAT!!! I asked them to just confirm it, which he did and said that it was on offer until the end of July - then I went to the fridge and picked up, well, and awful lot of it.

Is it just me or is this such a silly cheap price that they may have made a mistake?

I told them in the lab I use and they could not believe it either.

The 120 seemed cheaper too than normal, but not as cheap as the 135.

It was brand new stock - and I have re-checked the invoice - it was £6.50 per pack of 5 35mm rolls.

Anyone else confirm this?

Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    £5.43 on the Calumet website!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yeowch! that's cheap!
    It's listed at £5.43 on their website also.
    A single roll is £4.99 :o :o :o
    http://www.calumetphoto.co.uk/item/155-233H/
    http://www.calumetphoto.co.uk/item/155-182B/

EDIT: Oops, Tom beat me to it!
    EDIT 2: They have an order!
    Last edited by ben-s; 07-10-2007 at 07:27 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Lens caps and cable releases can become invisible at will. :D

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Have a look at the sale section on their site - they have some amazing deals on there.
    I just wish it was a different time of the month... I'm rather short on the old cash at the moment, and I don't want to set fire to my credit card:rolleyes:

Shooter
    35mm
    I think you're missing the "why". Kodak recently reformulated Portra to scan better and have finer grain. What you're getting is the last of the "old" Portra. Not that it's a bad deal or film, just that it won't have the little red blurb touting "improved scanning results", essentially.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfeye View Post
    I think you're missing the "why". Kodak recently reformulated Portra to scan better and have finer grain. What you're getting is the last of the "old" Portra. Not that it's a bad deal or film, just that it won't have the little red blurb touting "improved scanning results", essentially.
    Dont know about the website - what I got from the store was the brand new formulation.........

Still, even for the old, an extraordinary deal.

Matt

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt5791 View Post
    Dont know about the website - what I got from the store was the brand new formulation.........

Still, even for the old, an extraordinary deal.

Matt
    Sounds as if Kodak-UK is doing a promo for the new Portas? Similar to the "giveaway" Kodak did here in the US last autumn.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by copake_ham View Post
    Sounds as if Kodak-UK is doing a promo for the new Portas? Similar to the "giveaway" Kodak did here in the US last autumn.
    Yes - normally Kodak is substantially more expensive than Fuji in the UK - like the difference last year was, now I think about it, up to £7 difference on this particular pack - for the weddings I just could not justify Kodak.

....but now

I hope they keep it up because I think they are incredible films, particularly for weddings where skin tones are paramount. Not saying Fuji is no good for skin - it's a fine line - I just prefer the muted colour pallet and perfect skin tones.

Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by copake_ham View Post
    I'll post which version comes from the website when I receive mine.
    I would assume it's the same as the store bought version though.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    FWIW - if it is the "new" Porta you're getting a great deal. Current B&H price for Porta 160NC is about $28 per five pack. Figuring at $2 per GBP you're paying only $13! Less than half the current US street price.

Too bad my wife isn't scheduled to go back to London on biz before month's end!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin