Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,219   Posts: 1,532,244   Online: 770

Thread: Film Storage

Shooter
    35mm

Film Storage

I use Fuji Provia 100 for my first line color film. I usually keep my film in the freezer. If I remove film from the freezer and don't use it all, can the extra loads go back into the freezer? I have been storing the extra loads in the refrigerator after they thaw, because I worry that refreezing will damage the film emulsion.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I regularly re-freeze film I took out but didn't use. I've never experienced any problems when I did ultimately use it. It's not like a food item which might get "freezer burn".

Shooter
    35mm
    Yep, same here. Freeze and refreeze with no problems.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by John Curran View Post
    Yep, same here. Freeze and refreeze with no problems.
    I would add that this is definitely safe so long as the film is in the factory sealed packaging. If not, there is a moderate risk of repeated moisture condensation on the film itself causing problems.

Ed

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Neanderman View Post
    I would add that this is definitely safe so long as the film is in the factory sealed packaging. If not, there is a moderate risk of repeated moisture condensation on the film itself causing problems.Ed
    Point taken. I don't know how much of a problem condensation would be for me as I live in the desert, but it may be for others. Also, films are thawed slowly, from freezer to refrigerator for 12 hrs, then to room temp for 4 hrs before use.

regards
    John

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Neanderman View Post
    I would add that this is definitely safe so long as the film is in the factory sealed packaging. If not, there is a moderate risk of repeated moisture condensation on the film itself causing problems.

Ed
    Excellent point. I guess I had assumed this was understood; but you're wise to mention it.

Keep the 35mm in the canister until you're ready to load it; ditto on keeping the 120 in the mylar wrapper. If you then don't use them - re-freezing should not be a problem at all.

[Oh, I only shoot 35mm and MF - I imagine there are similar caveats for the LF/ULF films.]

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin