Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,670   Posts: 1,481,763   Online: 1005

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Near Tavistock, Devon, on the edge of Dartmoor.
    Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    No apologies needed, Steve. But if you want to bring a QC issue to Dwayne's attention, a letter or phone call might be a more direct method.
    Certainly Brian, if I had had the same problems with Kodak in the good old days of processing in the UK at Box 14, Hemel Hempstead, Herts HP2 7EH (later 7EY!) I would have written, but having a problem with a firm 6,000 miles away is a different matter. I hoped to gauge from replies to my post whether the problems I experienced were unusual or not and in the event it looks as if the whole spectrum of impressions of Dwayne's service - good and bad - will be brought to the firm's attention rather than just the disgruntlement of a single Brit.

Best wishes,

Steve

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by PKM-25 View Post
    I don't think Dwayne's plans on shutting down as soon as Kodachrome is gone so customer service / quality control is important to them.

I am going to forward the thread to his personal attention....
    Dear PKM-25,

Just wondered whether you did in fact forward the thread to Grant Steinle?
    If so, what was his reaction?

I ask because last night I projected another batch of K64 that I've received since my original posting and they suffer from all the same problems as well as "tramline" scratches. (Those could conceivably be due to light-trap contamination and nothing to do with the processing. Other manufacturers' films shot in the same camera and processed elsewhere show no problems.)

I spent a while last night brushing ridiculous amounts of dust from the slides to make them presentable, but frankly the state in which they were returned to me was disgraceful. Had I been discussing this in the pub and not on a public forum, I would have been hard-pressed not to have inserted an expletive in between "was" and "disgraceful".

If Mr Steinle hasn't seen the thread and/or hasn't replied, then I'll email his QC department as has been suggested (and perhaps Kodak's as well, though much good may it do me!)

Meanwhile, I can see no point in shooting my remaining rolls of Kodachrome and unless things at Dwayne's improve, I see my slide-taking future in a green box, not in a yellow one.

Disgruntled of Devon
    (aka Steve)

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one to have this sort of problem. With the time it takes to have chromes processed these days, I thought I'd buy a batch of Provia and Fuji mailers and give that route a try. For the past twenty some years I've been able to get E-6 processing done overnight at reasonable prices locally. (I'm in the Chicago area). Lately it's been taking a week or more to have them processed and the processing cost keeps getting higher. Anyway, I sent 10 36 exposure rolls to Dwayne's in Fuji mailers and they all came back with not only a considerable amount of dust, but also with all kinds of specks that had hardened into the emulsion. I guess one can't expect a whole lot when one uses $5 mailers. Fortunately, there's a camera store/lab in the Chicago suburbs (PJ's in Glen Ellyn) that has recently started doing E-6 processing, so I guess my film will go there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    This does not bode well for K64 if these QC issues persist. There isn't much of an option out there for K-14 development and I have a few rolls left to shoot.
    "The secret to life is to keep your mind full and your bowels empty. Unfortunately, the converse is true for most people."

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I think Duggal will process k-14. The site (http://www.duggal.com/01photo.htm) states, "Turnaround: In by 4 p.m., ready by noon next day. Rush service available." Such a fast turnaround implies that they don't farm it out to Dwaynes.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Roberts View Post

Meanwhile, I can see no point in shooting my remaining rolls of Kodachrome and unless things at Dwayne's improve, I see my slide-taking future in a green box, not in a yellow one.

Disgruntled of Devon
    (aka Steve)
    Hopefully in the UK you have an alternative for the stuff in the green box. Here in the US - all the Fujichrome mailers are now forwarded on to Dwayne's. Been that way for a year now...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Great. I was just going to send my only roll of Kodachrome 25 off for processing, and I keep seeing threads like this. It doesn't give me a lot of optimism. I still have a K64 and 3 K200s to use up, so I don't know if their worth shooting now. I also have 6 rolls of K40 Super 8 to use up yet.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    This mess is probably due to the cutting and mounting machines. I only do process and sleeve with my K-Chrome and I have not had any issues, but the very few rolls I had done mounted had dust.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I just got back a roll of Fuji Velvia 100F from Dwayne's (i.e. via the old Fujichrome mailer that now goes to them).

The scans show a lot of "hair" on the slide borders and some (not a sh*tload - but some) dust specs. I can easily crop out the "hair" for posts here so that's not a big deal. But, it is what it is.

I only open slide boxes to scan these days so I don't think I could have introduced the dust.

Now, mind you, these slides are very well processed - but they do have some dust and "hair".

Maybe as the last processor around Dwayne's is just overwhelmed with work and aren't keeping their machines as clean as they should?

Shooter
    35mm
    I'd still like to know whether PKM-25 did in fact bring this to Dwaynes' attention, as a response straight from the firm would be invaluable. I guess perhaps PKM-25 is enjoying a holiday and not picking up on this!
    If that's the case, I hope he's getting better weather than I had!

Steve

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin