Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,219   Posts: 1,532,286   Online: 902

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Near Tavistock, Devon, on the edge of Dartmoor.
    Shooter
    35mm

Dwayne's K64 Processing Issue

Hi All,

I just received back a roll of K64 (35mm) that has been sent on the trek from England to Lausanne to "Dwayne's" and home again. Earlier rolls took three weeks, which was too long for my liking, but presumably things have been streamlined and I can just about live with the current two weeks turn around. However, yesterday's returned slides had a ridiculous amount of surface dust and crud, some of which could be brushed off and some of which was stuck firmly to the slide. There were also drying marks that shouldn't have been there.

It would be unfortunate if the final nail in Kodachrome's coffin was one caused by poor processing standards, for however good a film stock is, it might as well be Orwochrome if the processing isn't up to scratch (fortunately none of those!) At the moment my feeling is that once my current stock of K64 is gone I shall not be buying any more. My recent experiences with Fuji's film and service lead me to think that that's the way forward.

Just venting my spleen, really.

Best wishes,

Steve

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    The last batch I received back, about a month ago, were the first Kodachromes I've ever seen with drying marks. Admittedly, it was three slides out of four films, but it spoiled a perfect record.

I'm not keen on cardboard mounts either, which I'm sure are the source of the dust which needed to be carefully brushed off of every slide :-(

Not so keen on the Fuji transparency films that I've tried, but after running out of K64 in Florence and buying the closest available equivalent - Elite Chrome 100 - have been pleasantly surprised by the results. It also scans a hell of a lot better on my not too great scanner. Not to mention perfect processing by return of post courtesy of Peak Imaging.

Much as I hate to admit it, I'm also considering abandoning Kodachrome :-(

Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    Aye, processing aside, I'm thinking Kodachrome isn't in my future either. I just hate how hard it is to scan it properly even with a good-ish Nikon Coolscan 5000 ED scanner and Vuescan software.

But it projects nice.
    In life you only get one great dog, one great car, and one great woman. Pet the dog. Drive the car. Make love to the woman. Don't mix them up.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Stan160 View Post
    I'm not keen on cardboard mounts either, which I'm sure are the source of the dust which needed to be carefully brushed off of every slide :-(
    Ian
    My last batch came back unmounted in a sleeve (I asked) and there was still some dust--from the sleeve, I think. Though there didn't seem to be anything that couldn't be easily brushed off, nothing like what Steve describes.

I suppose you could always complain to them--they won't be motivated to do anything about it if they never hear from anyone.

Shooter
    35mm
    Two years ago my last rolls of KR25 were sent to Dwayne's via Wal-Mart. I had written no-mounts, but they came back in those cardboard frames that I hate. The slides had lots of specks, cardboard dust, and glue spots.
    It took me hrs. to remove the dust - both physically and in Photoshop after scanning. That was the last time I used Kodachrome.

Since then my preferred films are Astia 100F (cut and sleeved) from the Slideprinter (now Denver Digital Imaging) and Kodak 400UC negative film (scans real well).

Shooter
    35mm
    Two years ago my last rolls of KR25 were sent to Dwayne's via Wal-Mart. I had written no-mounts, but they came back in those cardboard frames that I hate. The slides had lots of specks, cardboard dust, and glue spots.
    It took me hrs. to remove the dust - both physically and in Photoshop after scanning. That was the last time I used Kodachrome.

Since then my preferred films are Astia 100F (cut and sleeved) from the Slideprinter (now Denver Digital Imaging) and Kodak 400UC negative film (scans real well).

Shooter
    35mm
    It's sad as Dwayne is about the only place in the world to process Kodachome.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    It's also sad since Dwayne's is where all Fujichrome prepaid mailers in the US are now forwarded too!

I really hope the OP's experience was a one-off problem.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well folks, they do care about feedback, so you need to write in attention Grant Steinle, Dwayne Steinle's son, the current manager / owner and tell him what you found:

http://dwaynesphoto.com/newsite2006/...r-service.html

I had lunch with him as I passed through Parsons, KS last month and he was an upstanding guy, wrote in a notebook when I spoke of quality control and the future of the last days of Kodachrome.

Once it is gone, it is history. Now whether you want to be a part of that history or not is up to you, but there is a time limit as to how long we can get this film souped. I don't think Dwayne's plans on shutting down as soon as Kodachrome is gone so customer service / quality control is important to them.

I am going to forward the thread to his personal attention....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I got a stack of Kodachrome back from them a few months ago and there weren't any problems. But this sorta thing makes me a bit wary to send my E6 film there to save a few bucks on what it costs locally.
    The Analogue Laboratory, or 'so you built a darkroom in an old factory in the industrial zone'.
    Blog thing!.

Worry less. Photograph more.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin