Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,519   Posts: 1,572,217   Online: 1011

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

The Spiral

Hi Bob

I totally know what your saying about the vicious cycle and yea my machine is a little 5L so chemistry is more expensive, I was going to try and do it so that
    i would batch Ilfochrome jobs together and only do special runs of it every few weeks, but for me the demand isnt there. I think it is going to be a process for my own pleasure when I eventually get round to being able to do it.

~Steve
    The Lighthouse Lab

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lkbrown View Post
    Could anyone provide a list of labs that would print from 4x5 to Ilfochrome.
    I think Bob at Elevator does Ilfochromes. Not sure. Give him a shout at http://www.elevatordigital.ca/
    Can you still get chemistry and print material, is it still being produced?
    Yes. B&H Photo has the chemistry in stock when I was there last week.

Although I hear it's (Ilfochrome) been bought by a Japanese firm from Ilford?

Regards, Art.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ilford as well as Tellko as Lumiére had several owners:

In 1958 ICI buys a minority of Ilford Ltd. After some years of cooperation with Ciba (who have bought Lumiére in 1962) Ilford Ltd. finally is owned solely by Ciba in 1969.
    I guess in that period Tellko was acquired too (probably as Ciba Photochemie).
    Ciba merges with Geigy.
    In 1978 all photographic enterprises are placed under Ilford.
    In 1989 Ilford is sold to International Papers.
    In 1997 Ilford is sold to Doherty Hanson, a private equity company.
    The following year the name changes to Ilford Imaging.
    In 2004, the year of its 125th annyversary (Britannia Works), the company collapses with the Swiss branch being still the profitable one.
    In 2005 the UK branch (with half of its employees made redundant) is bought by its management, getting a new name: Harman Technology and trade under Ilford Photo.
    A few months later the Swiss Branch is bought by the old Japanese paper manufacturer Oji.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Last December I went to my favorite lab in Washington D.C., Chrome Imaging. They said they were discontinuing Ilfochrome. I had been using them for the little color work I do since the early 90's when all this was still called Cibachrome. I was doing a reproduction of an 1800’s painting from 4x5. They showed me their new Chromira prints that can be made from a digital file or film scan. Basically they use an LED printer instead of an enlarger to make the exposure on a conventional photographic paper that still has to be processed. The reproduction results were stunning.

I think for cost and performance reasons most large labs will be going to a system like Chromira, it’s kind of a hybrid between conventional printing and digital printing. And if you believe the Chromira people its better quality at a lower cost.

Chrome is here: http://www.chromeimaging.com/

More on the Chomira Printer is here: http://www.zbe.com/index.html
    -Logan Group

Pacifism in the face of murderous barbarism is a self-correcting disorder.

Shooter
    Medium Format

Report from the Field

Long live Ciba!!!
    I just got home from one of my best shows of the year!
    I heard it all.
    "You're old school," "This wet paper/chemistry stuff is history," "You don't punch the colors with PS???"
    Folks,I encourage everyone of you who can afford some paper and chems, and have some color trannies, to try Ciba.
    It still kicks ass.
    DT

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Logan Group View Post
    They showed me their new Chromira prints that can be made from a digital file or film scan. Basically they use an LED printer instead of an enlarger to make the exposure on a conventional photographic paper that still has to be processed. The reproduction results were stunning.
    You are talking about a new kind of printer.
    However this thread is about a certain type of photographic paper. I assume with little modification that Chromira-printer could print silver-dye-bleach paper too...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    On the trip to Ilford the question about the healthiness of Ilfochrome was asked and the response was that, whilst it is manufacturered by the now separate Swiss Ilford so they could not comment directly, as far as they were aware it was doing pretty well as, whilst it is a small market, they have it to themselves.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Once I had a Chromira print made by a lab that stopped doing Ilfochromes and while it looked good I sent the chrome out to another printer and had an Ilfochrome print made. It it still my choice for color prints, but due to the cost I can't have as many prints made as I would like.

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Logan Group View Post
    Last December I went to my favorite lab in Washington D.C., Chrome Imaging. They said they were discontinuing Ilfochrome. I had been using them for the little color work I do since the early 90's when all this was still called Cibachrome. I was doing a reproduction of an 1800’s painting from 4x5. They showed me their new Chromira prints that can be made from a digital file or film scan. Basically they use an LED printer instead of an enlarger to make the exposure on a conventional photographic paper that still has to be processed. The reproduction results were stunning.

I think for cost and performance reasons most large labs will be going to a system like Chromira, it’s kind of a hybrid between conventional printing and digital printing. And if you believe the Chromira people its better quality at a lower cost.

Chrome is here: http://www.chromeimaging.com/

More on the Chomira Printer is here: http://www.zbe.com/index.html
    I talked to a guy there about this last week. He said they had given up because of difficulties in getting supplies of the paper and chemistry. He showed me one of the Chromira prints and suggested that the quality was pretty close but not quite as deep as Ilfochrome.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Frizza View Post
    Hi Tom

Ilfochrome is an odd material here in australia, its spoken of amongst professional photographers who lament on how they wish they could still get Ilfochrome prints and it amazes me that they say this here because there are in actuality so many labs doing it per number of labs and also for the size of our population.

I too held this concept that Ilfochromes were dying and when i opened my lab I bought an ilfochrome processor, the chemistry and stock. Ive done the service for 2 clients but im not sure yet as to weather I will launch it as a service due to the difficulty in attracting new clients to this service simply because of the service cost. and also because of my past 2 experiences producing ilfochromes for clients I was unable to make anything from it.

In researching the service and the public intrest in it I also looked to
    who else was doing this printing process in Australia and I can guarantee that there is defiantly at least one lab per state who is still producing ilfochromes via traditional hand crafting.

There are 3 facilities off hand I know of in new south whales, 3 in victoria, one in Tasmania, 2 in Western Australia, 3 in Queensland , one in Northern Territory (although not a public lab) and one in south Australia,

Ilfochrome is the Grand Lady of positive to positive printing Ide love to know how healthy global sales of it are.

~Steve

Hi Steve,

I've done a bit of searching too but I could only find one place in South Australia that does it called Chromacolour. Who do you know that does it professionally in Sydney??

regards,
    Arthur

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin