Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,228   Posts: 1,532,779   Online: 835

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format

long live ciba's

Quote Originally Posted by davetravis View Post
    Long live Ciba!!!
    I just got home from one of my best shows of the year!
    I heard it all.
    "You're old school," "This wet paper/chemistry stuff is history," "You don't punch the colors with PS???"
    Folks,I encourage everyone of you who can afford some paper and chems, and have some color trannies, to try Ciba.
    It still kicks ass.
    DT
    Well done Dave!!!
    Were you the only one at the show with Ciba’s?
    and yes... LONG LIVE CIBA’S!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Long live Ciba!!!
    I just got home from one of my best shows of the year!
    I heard it all.
    "You're old school," "This wet paper/chemistry stuff is history," "You don't punch the colors with PS???"
    Folks,I encourage everyone of you who can afford some paper and chems, and have some color trannies, to try Ciba.
    It still kicks ass.
    DT
    Dave, one of the main reasons I joined the APUG is to learn about the Cibachrome/Ilfochrome process. At this point, I'm just happy to know there are people like you out there still doing Cibas. I've been a slide shooter for years and it's high time I print my own stuff. I have absolutely no interest in printing digitally. I have some of the equipment needed and I have been reading material from this site's forum and from an old Cibachrome Color Print Manual from the '70's I found at a used book store. In addition I picked up Krause & Shull's "Complete Guide To Cibachrome Printing", hardcover, for $3 through Amazon. Henry Horenstein's book, "Color Photography - A Working Manual" has some info, too. My goal is to start practicing on some prints by this winter. Hopefully, once I get proficient at this, I'll be able to do this for many years to come.

Anyway, congratulations on a great show this past weekend!

Marc

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by lkbrown View Post
    Well done Dave!!!
    Were you the only one at the show with Ciba’s?
    and yes... LONG LIVE CIBA’S!!
    Thanks LK!
    In 4 years of doing the shows, I've never seen a single other Ciba person. All the other photogs are selling either ink jets, or JCA. All of them commercially made.
    Only an occasional real wet paper B&W printer will be in a show, it's fun to talk to them.
    DT

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by FilmSprocket View Post
    Dave, one of the main reasons I joined the APUG is to learn about the Cibachrome/Ilfochrome process. At this point, I'm just happy to know there are people like you out there still doing Cibas. I've been a slide shooter for years and it's high time I print my own stuff. I have absolutely no interest in printing digitally. I have some of the equipment needed and I have been reading material from this site's forum and from an old Cibachrome Color Print Manual from the '70's I found at a used book store. In addition I picked up Krause & Shull's "Complete Guide To Cibachrome Printing", hardcover, for $3 through Amazon. Henry Horenstein's book, "Color Photography - A Working Manual" has some info, too. My goal is to start practicing on some prints by this winter. Hopefully, once I get proficient at this, I'll be able to do this for many years to come.

Anyway, congratulations on a great show this past weekend!

Marc
    Thanks Marc!
    B&H, and Adorama both have the paper...start with some 8x10...pricey! Rainer Photographic was shipping the chems, but they are closing up in 2 weeks...bummer!!!
    Great, now we've got to find a new distributor.
    I'll post when I find some chems.
    You can use the Jobo drums/processor, or the Cap/ICP machines. Both are on ebay.
    Ventilate your DR well!!!
    PM anytime for help.
    DT

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Rainer Photographic was shipping the chems, but they are closing up in 2 weeks...bummer!!!
    Great, now we've got to find a new distributor.
    I'll post when I find some chems.
    Dave, that is a bummer. About 6 months ago I placed a call to Calumet inquiring since they took the chems off the website - at that time they said they were still selling it, but shipping by truck only. That would mean you would need to buy at least 4 or 5 kits to get up to the minimum pricing weight.

Also, I note that on the Ilford Imaging Switzerland website, they no longer show the 5 litre kit - only 20 litre for P3. Let us know if you find anything else.

Bob
    "I always take a camera, That way I never have to say 'Gee, look at that - I wish I had a camera'" -Joe Clark, H.B.S.S.

Images
    Don't forget, you can use ordinary B&W print developer. I've found Selectol Soft to be very helpful in controlling contrast. You'd still need the other official color chemicals, though.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Mitchell View Post
    Don't forget, you can use ordinary B&W print developer. I've found Selectol Soft to be very helpful in controlling contrast. You'd still need the other official color chemicals, though.
    Yes, you can use B&W developer and B&W fixer, but you need the proprietary bleach. It is the bleach that is expensive and has hazmat shipping issues. If the kits for small darkroom use come with all 3 components anyway, ist really doesn't matter. PE has posted some bleach formulas, but proper identification, acquisition and mixology is a bit beyond me. Further, if they stop making the product, mixing chemistry is of no value without paper. I don't mean to sound gloom and doom, only facing reality as volume of sales continues to shrink. The manufacturer (who also makes toilet paper) is doing a poor job of marketing. After all, people NEED to buy toilet paper, but they don't NEED to buy Ilfochrome.:rolleyes:

Bob
    "I always take a camera, That way I never have to say 'Gee, look at that - I wish I had a camera'" -Joe Clark, H.B.S.S.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Bob,
    After this weekend, I'll have the whole month of August off. Do some boating, fishing, and chems hunting!
    I just special ordered 11x paper from Adorama.
    He said it would take 2 or 3 weeks, but instead it shipped 2 days later! So I'll see if they will ship the chems, even if B&H won't. I used to get it all from Ado, but lack of commercial demand over here has really dried up the pipeline.
    DT

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Lopaka View Post
    After all, people NEED to buy toilet paper, but they don't NEED to buy Ilfochrome.:rolleyes:
    Isn't that just because some people think they're getting better images on their toilet paper?

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Holland Photo, Austin Tx has posted on their web sight " End of
    Ilfochrome" because of lack of product availablity..
    They had an old German Flex20 machine printing them. Had a few printed over the years, and allways happy...
    Last year i went to Bensenville Il (suburb of Chicago) to Calumet to
    pick up an order for 3, 20l kits Ilfochrome chems and a load of paper.
    I drove 2200 miles round trip. Now most of it is gone so im going to try
    and re order..Im sure this guy Roy at Calumet will order anything i ask for
    but the future of Ilfochrome does not look good...
    John

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin