Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,499   Posts: 1,543,238   Online: 992

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Is CIBACHROME/ILFOCHROME Dead

A few years back when my local lab announced it would no longer print ilfochromes and the materials for this process would no longer be produced I went into a sever depression. In reading here it sounds like I could still possible get those beautiful, syrupy prints I love from my 4x5 trans.

Could anyone provide a list of labs that would print from 4x5 to Ilfochrome.
    or
    Can you still get chemistry and print material, is it still being produced?

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Silver Dye Bleach paper and films of the llfochrome type and the apt chemicals are still produced (or at least offered; one has to be careful these days...) by Ilford Imaging in Marly.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    The best place I know of Is In Burbank The Lab Ciba only does cibas .
    The owner Frank is a great guy and does awsome work !
    Some of His Clients Include ,Robert Flick , lois Lawler Paul MacCarthy and Jef Koons .

Address:
    4200 W Burbank Blvd
    Burbank, CA

Phone: (818) 953-2202
    his site is http://lab-ciba.com/
    Gustavo Castilla
    We are not moved by things ,
    but by the views we take of them.
    Epictitus.
    My site
    My flicker page
    Facebook
    Contact

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Ahhhhh... it is alive!!!! Thank you for the replies, you have brought a smile to my face... until I research prices that is.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hi lK,
    You can get most of the polyester material from B&H, be prepared for sticker shock!
    They'll ship everything but the bleach, so what's up with that?
    Rainer Photographic will ship the new P3.5 5 liter kit, it's around $150.
    The new chem/paper relationships take some patience during test prints, they can be a little "moody," but will work in the end.
    PM me if you ever need help.
    DT
    Last edited by davetravis; 07-24-2007 at 05:02 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Ilfochrome Alive and well in Australia

Surprisingly when you go looking for an Ilfochrome Lab in Australia there are quite a few labs which do it, If anyone in Australia is interested in having this process done and needs assistance let me know.

Regards
    Steve Frizza
    The Lighthouse

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Stephen,

Why do you think Ilfochrome appears to be so relatively popular in Australia? Ilfochrome doesn't seem to get talked about much on APUG.

Tom.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

ILfochrome so high compaired to population

Hi Tom

Ilfochrome is an odd material here in australia, its spoken of amongst professional photographers who lament on how they wish they could still get Ilfochrome prints and it amazes me that they say this here because there are in actuality so many labs doing it per number of labs and also for the size of our population.

I too held this concept that Ilfochromes were dying and when i opened my lab I bought an ilfochrome processor, the chemistry and stock. Ive done the service for 2 clients but im not sure yet as to weather I will launch it as a service due to the difficulty in attracting new clients to this service simply because of the service cost. and also because of my past 2 experiences producing ilfochromes for clients I was unable to make anything from it.

In researching the service and the public intrest in it I also looked to
    who else was doing this printing process in Australia and I can guarantee that there is defiantly at least one lab per state who is still producing ilfochromes via traditional hand crafting.

There are 3 facilities off hand I know of in new south whales, 3 in victoria, one in Tasmania, 2 in Western Australia, 3 in Queensland , one in Northern Territory (although not a public lab) and one in south Australia,

Ilfochrome is the Grand Lady of positive to positive printing Ide love to know how healthy global sales of it are.

~Steve

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Steve, I can only respond to what is happening here in US. To some degree, it is a case of a product doing itself in. Two years ago, when the old Ilford went into receivership, it took a long time to find a buyer for the Swiss company that makes it. During the transition, the plant shut down cutting off the flow of supplies. During this period, many of the remaining labs in the US that were running it on light-jet style tecnology (Lambda or Chromira) changed their machines to Fuji Crystal Archive. There are very few left that print either optically or by digi exposure. Early last year, the Ilford North American distributor went bankrupt. While our friends in UK found a distributor very quickly and kept the B&W supply lines flowing, the Swiss company took nearly a year to sign a distributor and once again the supply lines dried up. Now most of the remaining dealers no longer stock the product but sell on special order only.

Every time the sales volume lowers, they have to raise prices to cover the plant overhead. Every time the price goes up, the volume goes down. Sounds like a vicious spiral. I don't mean to sound all gloom and doom here, but just facing reality. I like the results and will continue to use it as long as available.

From a business perspective, as a custom lab, you have to be able to get enough volume to justify offering it. Optically printing can be done with the small 5 litre kits, but chemistry costs more this way than replenished lines. Digi exposure requires enough volume to justify setting up the machine. Only you can decide if you can make any money doing it, but I would advise against any significant capital expenditure for it unless the equipment can be effectively used in other processes.

Bob
    "I always take a camera, That way I never have to say 'Gee, look at that - I wish I had a camera'" -Joe Clark, H.B.S.S.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ilforchrome / Cibachrome is alive and well here in Arizona.

Source:
    Hidden Light LLC
    Flagstaff, Arizona
    928-527-1847
    www.hiddenlightllc.com
    www.cibachrome.com

I am having a great time selling them and people are loving them.

Good Luck,
    Shane Knight
    www.shaneknight.com

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin