Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,986   Posts: 1,523,988   Online: 818

Shooter
    35mm

Expired slide film

Hello.

I have got the chance to buy a lot of cheap slide (and some b/w) film which expired in late 2005. The film has been stored in a refrigerator so I'm pretty sure that the B/W film will be almost as good as new. So the question is if refrigerator-stored slide film that expired two years ago still will be as useable as new film or not? and will it be useable in two years if I store them in the freezer?

/Markus
    /Markus

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've had no difficulty with expired film, slide or otherwise as long it has been correctly stored. Since it was in cool storage in all likelihood shooting with the film will not be problematic. However, there is no guarantee that it will work flawlessly. I would go ahead an shoot it in non-critical applications.
    "The secret to life is to keep your mind full and your bowels empty. Unfortunately, the converse is true for most people."

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I use some RSXII 200 which is out of date. Stuff still comes back looking lovely. I'd take it at a discount because there's always a chance it could be bad but it's most likely very good.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Two years out of date doesn't sound so bad. But I think what you have to ask yourself is what will be your usage rate?

If you're talking say 100 rolls and you shoot two rolls a week - then I'd say go for it.

But if you only shoot two rolls a month - then some of that stuff will get pretty long in the tooth before you get to it.

Shooter
    35mm
    "A lot" was in perspective to how much use. It was 14 slide films and 10 b/w. However unfortunately (for me) some other guy got them before me.
    /Markus

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I regularly use slide, neg and B&W neg film that is over 5 or more years old.
    Mostly they are ok.
    In my experience, chrome film if properly stored is good for up to 4 years with no ill effect. Over that, you have to run a couple of sheets or rolls to see.
    B&W neg is a whole different game. I have used some that is over 25 years old and its great. It have a slight base fog but that adds to the look. Over 25 years and it a crap shoot. I have some nitrate based sheet film from the 40's. I can barely get an image but it looks cool.

2005 film are babies. I would have no problem using them. But i would stress that you need to run some and see.

-ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You could have frozen them and kept them basically stable as well. If your initial tests had shown that the film was fine, you could keep it there for probably five years, which would be lots of time.

I buy my slide film in pro packs (20 rolls at a time) and I freeze it. I see no discernable difference between rolls 1 and 20, even though it sometimes takes me a couple of years to get through the box.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I've used expired slide film (Fuji 64T, to be exact) that was 9 years past its due. Didn't have any problems, which suggested it was likely frozen for most of its shelf life.
    Derrick

Shooter
    35mm
    Well if it's 10 years plus don't bother, you will be disappointed.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin