Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,915   Posts: 1,556,353   Online: 1111

Shooter
    Medium Format

Sodium thiosulphate or Ammonium thio

Hi everybody, posted a question regarding blix recently and have found a local supplier of chemicals. My question is can I use Sodium thiosulphate in place of ammonium thiosulphate (my supplier has the former in stock and the latter will take a week or so to arrive)
    If I buy these chemicals as powders do I use 600g in 1 litre to make a 60% solution.
    I will be using the blix in a roller transport processor so it has to do it's job in the 45 secs at 38 deg C although I can change the temperature.
    Thanks in advance, Richard.

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Sorry, this doesn't help you, but I wanted to ask if a blix is a combined bleach-fix? ...that's what it sounds like.
    Murray

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Blix, Murray it's an Americanism slang for Bleach Fix :-)

More seriously Richard the Bleach fix formula are designed and balanced for Ammonium Thiosulphate.

While in theory Sodium thiosulphate could be used you'd have to experiment first, but it would be very much slower in action. So as you need a fast active Bleach Fix you will have to wait for the Ammonium Thiosulphate.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Blix was a term used at EK and several other companies without trademark or copyright until Hunt chemical company registered it and then everyone else was locked out of using the name. I believe that Agfa may have used it first, but I'm not sure.

In any event, we found that sodium thiosulfate fixes were not powerful enough for color materials. And, the washing was slower. So, I don't recommend sodium hypo for color processes.

PE

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks guys, I'll wait for the ammonium thio.
    Richard.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin