Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,654   Posts: 1,481,381   Online: 1054

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I own a pro lab which processes at least 20 rolls of Provia 100F 120 format per day, and maybe 5 rolls of the stuff in 35mm. I am rarely asked to change the films speed and most of my clients rate as though it is a 100iso film, its a beautiful film and I would suggest it be shot at 100iso as the results from this are beautiful. If ever something looks different than you expect it to I would discuss it with the lab just to ensure there has been no speed change on their behalf and to make sure their process is under control and not fluctuating.

Steve Frizza
    The Lighthouse Lab

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    15 Aug 2007

When I shoot slide film Provia 100F is the only film I use. It is wonderful stuff! Gives clean true colors without being too saturated. I mainly shoot in 35mm and have limited experience in 120, but in both cases I rate the film at EI 125. This gives me a little more density when making prints.

I echo David's comments about placement of highlights. I would place them at +1.5 stops.

Regards,
    Darwin

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Well, it sounds like

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Sorry, hit the wrong button--

Sounds like from all are saying, I need to try again, and be more conservative metering the highlights. For your amusement, I did manage to make a rough "scan" by photgraphing the film on a light table (with some reflections from the sleeve):

The first is the "normal" exposure Provia, then the "underexposed" Provia, then the normally exposed Kodachrome.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails overtest.jpg   undertest.jpg   krtest.jpg  

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Looks like you just placed your highlights too high on the daylight scenes with the Kowa.

It's also possible, if you used the same meter for the Kodachrome shots, that your Kowa shutter speeds (or at least some of them) are on the slow side--slide film will reveal such problems.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'll just chime in with a me too. I use a lot of Provia 100 & would say that its true speed is 100. For copystand work I will rate it 100 & get N development.
    For my general walk around shooting I like to rate it at 100 & have it pushed one stop in the processing. I do that because it gives me one stop faster shutter speed for handheld shooting plus I like the extra density & colour saturation.

The sample Provia frames look well over, however the other films look OK. Does anyone think that it might be a processing issue?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I don't see any real bright areas of the scene that would have fooled the meter to be off that much. I think you had the meter set for the wrong ISO.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by roteague View Post
    I think you had the meter set for the wrong ISO.
    I have made that mistake, from switching cameras and forgetting to reset the meter. But it's unlikely I did it consistently for three rolls. I suppose it's remotely possible it was a lab error, but I sent it to Praus in Rochester. More likely it was my error.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Moopheus View Post
    I have made that mistake, from switching cameras and forgetting to reset the meter. But it's unlikely I did it consistently for three rolls. I suppose it's remotely possible it was a lab error, but I sent it to Praus in Rochester. More likely it was my error.
    No worries. I can't tell you how many times I've done that in the past while shooting sheet film.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by goldie View Post
    For my general walk around shooting I like to rate it at 100 & have it pushed one stop in the processing. I do that because it gives me one stop faster shutter speed for handheld shooting plus I like the extra density & colour saturation.
    System wouldn't let me edit the original post.
    I meant to say that I rate it at 200 & have it pushed half a stop.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin