Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,809   Posts: 1,581,524   Online: 981
      
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 19 of 19
  1. #11
    ZoneIII's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Illinois
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    247
    Images
    35
    Thanks guys! I appreciate it.

    I like the ATL machines from what I've seen but you brought up some good points about parts availability and complexity (more things can go wrong).

    As for a hand line, as I mentioned in my other related question, I do have a sink line. I use it when I have a lot of film to process but it isn't suited to my color needs. Too much chemistry. As I mentioned in the original question and above, sometimes I just have a couple sheets to process so I want a processor that I can mix just the amount of chemistry I need. Also, sometimes I don't shoot color for weeks on end. (I tend to go in spurts because I do most of my color photography on long trips. Too ugly here in Illinois!). But the sink line would be fine for when I get back from productive trips. I shoot a lot of b&w and, even so, I only use the sink line after very productive trips. I prefer tray processing and, in fact, I will probably tray process b&w even when I get a processor. I have never minded it at all and I have been doing it for decades. I can't even remember the last time I had a damaged negative and I have very good control

    Thanks for the info on six-step vs three-step. My gut is telling me to go with 6-step but that can be done with almost every processor I have looked at except the ATL500. The ATL1000/1500, etc., look like good machines but they may be hard to come by in good condition. (I do have temperature controlled water.) From the useful information I have received, I'm leaning towards a CPA or CPP and I know that they do show up on eBay quite often.

    Thanks to you guys, things are starting to clarify. Two days ago, I had no idea what to get.

  2. #12
    DKT
    DKT is offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    504
    a super sidekick might be worth looking at as well. btw--I used to do E6 in a wing lynch machine, and we always did one-shot using 6 step kodak chem. the 6 step stuff allowed us to change the pH and the dilution (sp. grav.) strength of some of the steps and by driving ourselves nuts with control strips, we were able to tweak the process. you mix the chemistry up a little different for tube processing than with tanks, and a lot of the problems we had in terms of running control strips and trying to keep everything in check, was that since it was one-shot, our corrective actions were very limited. so, I'm not sure in the end whether the 3 step or 6 are better one way or the other for small tube processing, but there is much more documentation and support available for kodak or fuji 6 step. you'll probably need some sodium hydroxide 5N or possibly some sulfuric acid either way though, so plan on that--effects the pH of the color developer--tweaks the color balance. the stregth of the reversal bath does this as well as the first wash temp. my advice would also be to get a water panel like hass intellifaucet, if the processor you choose doesn't have some provision to offer tempered water.
    Last edited by DKT; 08-20-2007 at 12:28 PM. Click to view previous post history.

  3. #13

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Posts
    132
    I have a pair of ATL-3 processors: The first came from a lab that owed me a lot of money; and the second I picked up from a lab in CT going all-digital for $23, which I use as a parts whore.

    If I had to do it all over, I would settle for a CPA or CPP, as long as I could run my 3005 & 3010 expert drums: The 2509N reel for sheet film is an abortion that survived the coat hanger.

    [And Yes, the 2509N is that bad...]

  4. #14

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Hollis, NH
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    732
    Images
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Discpad View Post
    I have a pair of ATL-3 processors: The first came from a lab that owed me a lot of money; and the second I picked up from a lab in CT going all-digital for $23, which I use as a parts whore.

    If I had to do it all over, I would settle for a CPA or CPP, as long as I could run my 3005 & 3010 expert drums: The 2509N reel for sheet film is an abortion that survived the coat hanger.

    [And Yes, the 2509N is that bad...]
    What's wrong with the 2509N reel? I've never had a problem with it.

  5. #15

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Posts
    132
    Quote Originally Posted by dslater View Post
    What's wrong with the 2509N reel? I've never had a problem with it.
    • It's hard to load;
    • If you load 6 sheets, they will often touch, with disastrous results;
    • Because of the above, you should only load 4 sheets;
    • Streaks!!


    If I'm developing B&W 4x5 film and I don't want to fire up my ATL-3, I use rack hangers & Kodak rubber tanks.
    Last edited by Discpad; 08-20-2007 at 11:43 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Added stuff...

  6. #16

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Hollis, NH
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    732
    Images
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Discpad View Post
    • It's hard to load;
    • If you load 6 sheets, they will often touch, with disastrous results;
    • Because of the above, you should only load 4 sheets;
    • Streaks!!


    If I'm developing B&W 4x5 film and I don't want to fire up my ATL-3, I use rack hangers & Kodak rubber tanks.
    Hmm - I've never had a problem loading mine - the sheets slide right in and I routinely process six sheets at a time. I've never had sheets touch. Is your reel older/stained? Have you used it with photoflo? I have 2 reels, and I have noticed that film slides into the new one easier than the older one. I always remove my film from the reel and photoflo it in a tray.
    I have never had a problem with streaks either - I process E-6, C-41 and PMK pyro on a Jobo CPE-2 - maybe it's something with the ATL processor.

    The reason I am going on about this is that to use an expert drum, you need at least a Jobo CPP/CPA processor. These processors are about twice as expensive as a CPE model and the expert drums are very expensive as well. I'd hate to see someone decide not to process his/her own film because he/she couldn't afford the more expensive Jobo and thought the CPE-2 wouldn't work.

  7. #17

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    106
    It is true that the 2509N does not work well once the tanks parts wear out. I had a horrible time trying to figure out what was going. I realized that the spool and tank bottom were no longer gripping enough to spin the reel around once the chemicals were loaded. Make sure you get a complete set of new drum parts for 4x5 processing.

  8. #18

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Posts
    132
    Quote Originally Posted by dslater View Post
    (cut)
    The reason I am going on about this is that to use an expert drum, you need at least a Jobo CPP/CPA processor. These processors are about twice as expensive as a CPE model and the expert drums are very expensive as well. I'd hate to see someone decide not to process his/her own film because he/she couldn't afford the more expensive Jobo and thought the CPE-2 wouldn't work.
    If one is buying a used Jobo (is there any other way?!), why screw around with a CPE series to begin with?

    ...In fact, useed ATL's often go for less than the CP* series, since their owners are too lazy to crate them up.

  9. #19

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Posts
    132
    Quote Originally Posted by radiantdarkroom View Post
    It is true that the 2509N does not work well once the tanks parts wear out. I had a horrible time trying to figure out what was going. I realized that the spool and tank bottom were no longer gripping enough to spin the reel around once the chemicals were loaded.
    Why masturbate with the 2509N and risk wrecking valuable film to begin with?!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin