Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,969   Posts: 1,558,542   Online: 1041

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan

Re-worked the page

Quote Originally Posted by srs5694 View Post
    Concerning the DIY formulas, they seem to originate (or at least are also reported) here. In fact, this is the only DIY E-6 formula I've ever encountered on the Web. I mention this mainly so you can add a reference. PE has commented on this formula's deficiencies here on APUG in the past.
    OK gang, based on the great suggestions so far, I reworked the sections on the page containing the Watkins chrome brew formula; and also moved the three step process hack to the bottom of the page.

PE: I need to dig up the MSDS for the first dev, yada yada yada. As I remember it, I mentioned over on Photo.Net that it was a(n) MQ developer, you corrected me, and I looked it up.

Thanks for the help!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Dan;

The first developer is a High Acutance developer with 2 developing agents and an additional ingredient not commonly listed. The developer is slow acting and very stable. It develops the many layers in E6 films just perfectly to prevent crossover and gives good dmin and dmax in both silver and dye. The developer you list can go awry. It is a very old formula which was corrected in Darkroom Techniques in the 90s. That formula, I think by Dignan, was the most correct I've seen.

If you use a ferricyanide bleach, you must use a sulfite - acetic acid stop bath after the color developer and a good long wash to remove any color developer and acidify the film. This is called the clearing bath.

My E6 bleach contains Ferric Nitrate IIRC. You might want to look this up as well.

The pre-bleach also contains acetic acid and EDTA according to the MSDS.

The stabilzer, final rinse is a proprietary chemical as well.

PE

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Dan;

The first developer is a High Acutance developer with 2 developing agents and an additional ingredient not commonly listed. ...The developer you list can go awry. It is a very old formula which was corrected in Darkroom Techniques in the 90s. That formula, I think by Dignan, was the most correct I've seen.

PE
    The developer I list? Do you mean the Watkins developer?

I'm coming very close to wiping out the entire home-brew section of the article, anyway.

dmr
    Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Discpad View Post
    I'm coming very close to wiping out the entire home-brew section of the article, anyway.
    Please leave it in, even with a disclaimer that it may not be ideal.

I read the article and the ingredients and such were quite interesting, even though I'm not a photo chemist by any means.

Thanks for putting this in there.

About the only thing I would like to see in there is a bit more on how the "magic" of the CD3 works. Not as detailed as chemical equations and such, just some narrative on how the dye forming works.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Discpad View Post
    The developer I list? Do you mean the Watkins developer?

Dan;

The real E6 first developer is what I describe, not yours. Yours is incorrect.

Yours will be a good developer, but not for all E6 films and not for all characteristics due to the lack of one correct developing agent and an added ingredient for image structure.

AFAIK, the correct formula was published one time by Pat Dignan in Darkroom Techniques in the 90s.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The BJP annual I have has different formulas. No idea if they're better/worse then the Watkins.

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Zentena View Post
    The BJP annual I have has different formulas. No idea if they're better/worse then the Watkins.
    Could you please post them here for comment?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    First Developer pH 9.6 +/-0.1

Calgon 2grams
    Sodium sulphite anhydrous 15g
    Potassium hydroquinone monosulphate pure 15g
    Diethylene glycol 20g
    Potassium carbonate anhydrous 15g
    Phenidone 0.4 g
    Sodium thiocyanate 20% solution 8ml
    Potassium bromide 1.8 grams
    Potassium iodide 1% solution 4ml
    water to 1litre

I think the alternate is the Watkins

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Reversal bath pH 5.8 +/- 0.1

Propionic acid 12ml
    Stannous chloride 1.65 g
    p-Aminophenol 0.5 g
    Sodium hydroxide 4.8 g
    BDH calcium complexing agent #4 15ml
    water to 1litre

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Conditioning bath pH6.1

Sodium sulphite anhydrous 10g
    EDTA Acid 8 g
    Thioglycerol 0.5ml
    water to 1litre

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin